Excellent Primaries in Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: Excellent Primaries in Bucks

Post by anotherdad »

sbates wrote:I would just like to put a spanner in the works. My DS's junior school, Turnfurlong has just had its latest ofstead report. Now, 4 years ago it was a good and outstanding school. Last year they had their largest number of students pass 11+ of nearly 20% with more getting through on appeal. My son who was average when he joined finished yr 5 on all 5s. However, they are now deemed a failing school by ofstead Why? I don't pretend to understand the detail but its to do with progress of students which means ofstead can only award it failing status. So my advice would be to always visit the school and see it in action. Ultimately though, remember what schools do with your chilren is only a small part. It's how much time you give them and what principles you teach them.
The wording of the Ofsted report makes it clear that progression is the problem. The school is in an area where the starting level of pupils is above average but over the last three years, pupils in year 6 are only at average level. The exact wording is:

"The school is not satisfactory because pupils do not make enough progress and their attainment has declined since the previous inspection. Leaders have failed to adequately address the recommendation from the previous inspection, to raise standards in mathematics. Pupils do not have good enough skills for mathematical investigation, nor do they get enough opportunities to practise basic skills in writing. The broadly average attainment at the end of Year 6 represents inadequate progress, given pupils’ attainment when they start Year 3."

Now averages are dangerous things - as sbates' example shows, the nature of an average is that there are usually exceptions either side, but with the findings from the inspection being what they were, the inspection team seemingly had no option but to grade the school as "inadequate". I don't believe that Ofsted consider 11+ "pass" rates when judging a school's effectiveness and nor should they. As a parent, I infer that this school allows its generally high-attaining pupils to coast toward average attainment levels. That strikes me as being inadequate too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now