Just Moved to High Wycombe Bucks from Slough

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dad40

Re: Just Moved to High Wycombe Bucks from Slough

Post by Dad40 »

When you say Wycombe, do you mean "Wycombe proper" or merely a Wycombe postal address (which includes various suburbs and villages all around)?
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Hi dad40

We have moved from slough to High Wycombe.

Regards

Sonia
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Hi All,

Today received a call from the Admission Team Bucks that they got a space in the Great Kingshill School and DD will start going to this school from coming Monday.

Any parents can share their views about this school.

Regards

Sonia
Cargogirl

Post by Cargogirl »

My DD is in Year 6 and DS in Year 3 at GKCS. They both moved there at the beginning of year 3. We have been extremely happy with the school and both have made good progress, have lovely friends and love going to school every day, all you can ask for really.
By the by, DS qualified for GS.
Any specific questions feel free to ask. Do you know which class you DD will be in?
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

My DD is in Year 6 and DS in Year 3 at GKCS. They both moved there at the beginning of year 3. We have been extremely happy with the school and both have made good progress, have lovely friends and love going to school every day, all you can ask for really.
By the by, DS qualified for GS.
Any specific questions feel free to ask. Do you know which class you DD will be in?
My DD is in Year 5 and is also really enjoying the school.

Could some senior /expert/ one hwho has passed through the smiliar situation help me in following queries.

1)How did you manage to hold the pressure of your DD? With every passing day she is becoming more nervous.

2)How close are Susan Daughtery's Graded Test Papers to the actual tests?

3) My daughter was born in the month of May , will she get any benefit for the age?

4) Whats the best Grammar school in Bucks for Girls?

5)How to register my DD for the Bucks Grammar school ? We have to give only two VR papers and are eligible to apply for all the Grammar school in Bucks including Burnham Grammar School. As we have moved from slough DD old school friends got admission in BGS ( This Grammar school comes in the Bucks region and many friends got admission in it , whether its admssion criteria is different from the rest of the Grammar schools in Bucks)

6) Our top preference is Wycombe Grammar School. If my daughter scores 121 or more will she be able to get a place in WGS? Whats their admission criteria?
`
7)In order to keep the options open can my DD appear for (Slough) Berkshire 11+ test? If yes then how to apply for that? We have to apply separately for each of the 4 schools (Langely, herschel, SGS , St bernards) or we have to fill in the same form for the Bucks and will be able to take the test for grammar school in Slough also.

8) What is the last date for submitting the application form for grammar schools in slough?

9) I was reading somewhere on the forum that this time students will get the result first and after that the admission process will start. Is it true ? if its true , is it for both Bucks and Berks regions?

Hope the answers to these queries will releive some of my tension.

Regards

Sonia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sonia, you have asked for a huge amount of information and it would take hours for someone to reply with the detail you need.

If you go to the top of this page you will see tabs for 11 plus advice, preparation and schools. I suggest you click on those and read the many, many pages of helpful information contained on this website. They will answer the great majority of your questions and they also contain links to school and admissions websites for further background information.

You can then come back to us if you are unclear on any specific details.

Sally-Anne
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks Sally Anne
You can then come back to us if you are unclear on any specific details.
I found this on the Bucks Site
The new admission codes states that Authorities should publish the test results before parents make their secondary school preferences. Bucks are NOT adopting this for 2013 admission, but will possibly change for 2014 admission.

Closing date for applications - 7th September 2012 to register child for the 11+ Test.
All children at Bucks state primary schools are automatically registered.
31st October 2012 for the Common Application Form
11+ test dates 4th and 10th October 2012 – for children attending a Bucks primary school or Bucks “partner school”.
Test Results - 30 November 2012
Allocation Day - 1st March 2013
I foud this from the Herschel Grammar School Website
Registration Forms available from Consortium grammar schools - Monday 11 June 2012
Closing date for submission of Registration Forms - Friday 13 July 2012
Slough Borough Council secondary school applications open online - Saturday 1 September 2012

Test Dates
For children attending Slough primary schools - Thursday 20 September 2012
For children attending primary schools outside Slough - Saturday 22 September 2012
Results notified to parents - Week beginning Monday 22 October 2012
Common Application Form national closing date - Wednesday 31 October 2012
Closing date for CAF for both counties is 31 October 2012. In bucks The result will be on 30 Novemver 2013 and for Slough Consortium the result is on 22 October 2012.

My query is we have to fill 2 CAF separate for Bucks and Slough or we have to fill one and if we have to fill one and we havent got the result of Bucks how can we add the WGS in the preference.

I think parents will be in a good position in Slough as they know thier results before filling the CAF as compared to the Parents filling in the CAF in High Wycombe Bucks.

Your suggestions/advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Sonia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

One CAF - it goes to your home LA. You get six choices so put them in your true order of preference. If your child does not get the 121 Bucks qualification then those choices disappear from the CAF unless you are successful at appeal.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sonia

That's better - bite-size chunks please! :D

You complete a single CAF which you return to Bucks CC admissions (your home LA) by 31st October. (Or you can complete it online.)

I am assuming that WGS is your first preference, so you list it first, even though you won't know if she has qualified.

You will have the results for the Slough schools, so if your DD has qualified, you can then list them. If she hasn't qualified in Slough, you list any other preferences for Bucks Uppers and Berks comps.

On November 30th you get the Bucks result. If she qualifies (and you live close enough, which I feel sure you do), she is allocated WGS. If not, the next preference (Slough or non-selective) is allocated.

Yes, it is better to have the results in hand, but some Slough parents will still be uncertain of success if they have to appeal or are relying on distance.

You have 6 spaces on the CAF, so plenty of room for grammars and others.

S-A

(Cross post with Guest55, the soul of brevity, as ever. :lol: )
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks Guest55/ Sally Anne,

Suppose my DD scores 121 and on the CAF our first preference is WGS ( WGS is in our catchement area0

its sure that we will be allocated a seat there.

Regards

Sonia