Going to a new school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

faitaccompli

Going to a new school

Post by faitaccompli »

My son is leaving his current school in Bedford for his final term in Year 6 - hopefully going to Holy Trinity in Marlow for one term. Obviously he knows no other children in that particular school.

In September, he will yet again be going to a new school and (hopefully if we get the local grammar) will maybe go there with a few of the other children who qualified in Holy Trinity.

My question is, do people on here try to link up their children prior to starting Year 7 if they happen to be going to the same school, or do we all prefer to remain anonymous?

I am a member of another forum (equestrian) and we tend to meet up frequently, and I have met some 300 or so members of that forum over the years - just wondered (as a newbie to your forum) whether this happened here as well?

He does make friends easily, but to have to go through it twice in the space of 6 months may be a big ask for him.
Booklady

Re: Going to a new school

Post by Booklady »

Just thought I would post in response to this. I did get to know a couple of local people (you know who you are!!) through this forum - and our DD's met each other - and now travel to school on the same bus. It has been useful - its a big move to secondary school - and only 2 girls going from my DD's school to the one she was allocated. Having said that - the school also went to great efforts to hook people up together who were in the same class before school started.

So - why not - most people on this forum seem pretty normal !! :lol:
ks

Post by ks »

When DD1 started at grammar, 12 of the year group were forum posters and about half (parents and girls) got together beforehand. It's a school with a very high number of feeder schools so many girls knew none or very few others. It was nice for them to know a few friendly faces and just as useful for parents to do so.And yes, everyone was very normal ..... Apart from their EPE addiction :lol:

Having said that, the schools are very good at induction days at helping the kids break the ice. At DDs school they also mapped out where they lived so that they could locate others that lived nearby which was useful.

By the way, I was away when you posted your Bucks news, faitaccompli. Can I add my belated congratulations.
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

OP my dd started at DCHS in September, she knew a few girls already but her absolute firmest friends are now all girls she'd never met before from a complete range of schools. That's one of the joys (ha!) of the GS system, it's a complete melting pot.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My sons didn't know anyone when they started at their senior school. I saw this as a positive. They didn't feel the need to tag along with someone else just because they knew them at primary school. They all made lovely sets of like-minded friends and are extremely happy. I am sure your DS will do the same.

Although it does seem an awful lot for him to change schools twice in such a short amount of time, I am sure he will cope. They seem to be very resilient at his age and I am sure there will be lots of boys at his senior school who are in the same position.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

There are 18 DC going from my DS primary to the GS and whilst in someways this is comforting I agree with Fran that it's also nice to have a new beginning. Either way is good just different.