12+ update after disappointing 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mk123

Re: 12+ update after disappointing 11+

Post by mk123 »

KT36

How pleased I am to hear your good news! Impressive score. Special congratulations for you DS!
Best of luck,
mk123
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

KT36,
I'm so pleased to hear a happy outcome. It gives me some hope!! Just in case we manage to get level 5 SATs this year and can gird our loins to do the 12+ next year, I'd Really love to know how the 12+ differs from the 11+ and about the slightly different question types and new type you encountered this year.
Thanks.
H
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Hi H

Sorry taken me a while to reply. I've just sent you a PM which is a bit long and rambling so I hope it makes sense!

Good luck

KT
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Information about the 12+ is also available here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KT36, if anything on that page differs from your DS's experience, please let me know. It was based on the practice materials I received when my DS1 took the test some years ago. I did see the practice materials again a couple of years ago, but there may have been more recent changes.
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Hi S-A
The procedure was spot on to your link but some question types slightly different to 11+ in particular one type (alphabetical sorting) wasn't on the info that BCC sent (in fact the familiarisation pack was only 10 questions and pretty useless). also 12+ is spot odd 1 word from 5 whereas 11+ is odd 2 words from 5. The alphabetical sorting definitely came up this year as my DS told me (hope I wasn't too cruel to him but did ask him to debrief me so I could pass on to tutor :) ) You are also spot on about the different maths question (but it's easy). I'm more than happy to share my findings with you. I can email it all later if you like? I'm doing this off my iPhone (driving me crazy) and I still have all the stuff at home.

KT

Ps still owe you loads from all the support last year :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, please, KT. If you have lost my email address, PM me for it.
KT36

Post by KT36 »

I found it hunting through some 11+ stuff so I'll send it over hopefully tonight :)
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

really good news! just hope we will have the same outcome can you please tell me also what the diffrence is between the 2 test. i heard its only ten minutes shorter (bucks). thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Read the link above - 85 questions in 45 minutes.

HOWEVER - remember you need to check what the GS you are interested is doing next year. Some are setting their own late entry tests ...
KT36

Post by KT36 »

I thought i'd post a very quick update here.

When year 8 allocation letters arrived DS wasn't allocated any GS place. We weren't sure we could face another appeal, but we did. We appealed for JHGS and BGS.

Stage 1 for JHGS was this morning, we were expecting 30-45 minutes..but 3 hours later (and following 1 adjournment), the panel ruled that JHGS hadn't made their case and they allowed all 8 appeals. I think this is a very are occurrence, but I don't care, DS got the place in the school he really wanted to attend. Stage 2 was then cancelled :)

It's been a a horrible long journey, but i finally feel like we won.

thank you so much to everyone on the forum for all the help and support (on the Bucks thread and the appeals thread).

a very very ver happy mum :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by KT36 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.