Offered Burnham Grammar, want Becky High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kusanagi

Offered Burnham Grammar, want Becky High

Post by kusanagi »

High there DD has been offered our 3rd choice of Burnham Grammar, we really want Becky High as it's single sex, please can you let me know what i need to do now about accepting, wait list, appeal etc etc,
many thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Offered Burnham Grammar, want Becky High

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi kusanagi, and welcome!

I am sorry to hear that you haven't received your first choice of school, but there is plenty of time for things to change.

Firstly, you must accept the place at Burnham. If you don't, you risk being left without a school place from among any of your preferences.

Secondly, the letter you receive will explain how to apply for the waiting list for BHS and any other schools that you might prefer. You should sign up for those lists.

Finally, and if it comes to this, you can appeal. You can begin to read up about over-subscription appeals here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Appeals will not take place until at least May, and possibly even June or July, so there is time for things to change.

There are further rounds of allocations every 6 weeks from now until the summer, and if the next round of allocations in mid-April does not produce a place, you will at least be told where you are on the waiting list.

Sally-Anne
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Hi - we were in exactly this position at this point last year! We got offered BHS in the second round allocations in April (our first choice), as did a friend of ours who lives several miles further out. BGS - our catchment school - was our first offer. It should be said - we were very positive about this with DD - its a good school and the kids do well - and she could have walked there!! But BHS suited her interests much better - so she also knew we were hoping for that for her.

In the meantime - as SA says - accept BGS, go on the waiting lists (I think this happens automatically anyway), say you will appeal for BHS, and start gathering all the reasons why your DD should go to BHS in case you need an oversubscription appeal. We didn't - but I spent time researching it and preparing in case it comes to it. I got a lot of help from people on here with that too! :D

Good luck!

BookLady
munch

Post by munch »

Is a transfer appeal the same as an oversubscription appeal?
kusanagi

Post by kusanagi »

Many thanks for the encouraging replies. This is all very daunting. We knew that we would have a battle as we are just out of catchment, so it was a given that we wouldn't get offered first round. However was very confused when a friends DD was offered BHS even though it was her 2nd choice and she is also OOC.
So I guess i have to wait for the paperwork to arrive before doing anything else.
Also how do i accept the offer online for BGS, i didn't notice anything on the RBWM offer page this morning
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

munch wrote:Is a transfer appeal the same as an oversubscription appeal?
It is indeed.
However was very confused when a friends DD was offered BHS even though it was her 2nd choice and she is also OOC.
It will be a matter of distance. If you think there is a mistake, and your friend's DD is further away you should contact Bucks CC.
Also how do i accept the offer online for BGS, i didn't notice anything on the RBWM offer page this morning
Not a clue! Try asking on the Berks section.

I am sending you a PM.
munch

Post by munch »

Sally-Anne wrote:munch wrote:

Is a transfer appeal the same as an oversubscription appeal?

It is indeed.

Thanks SA :D
kusanagi

Post by kusanagi »

for those that haven't tied up this thread to my other "Allocations Error - Beaconsfield High" i am please to annouce that the error at RBWM has been rectified and we have now been correctly allocated BHS, thank you so everyone for your support and kind messages :D
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Excellent news :)