waiting for GS place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: waiting for GS place

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, it is correct, Y. It changed a couple of years ago.

The only caveat is that the pass is valid until the end of Year 9 or until the school starts to teach KS4. Some GS start teaching KS4 in the summer term of Y9.

hashbrown, have you called BCC Admissions yet? You really need to do so as a matter of urgency because if there is a problem with your application, you need to get it sorted out before this year's 13+ allocations are made.
roo007

Post by roo007 »

We are OoC and accepted our allocated school but as this was our second preference we also asked to be put on the waiting list for our first preference school and asked for a transfer appeal too.

Contacted BCC admissions but they were not able to tell us where we are were on the waiting list but that we would either be offered a place at our first preference school or told where we are on the waiting list on 20/04/12 and would just have to wait till then.

Should we be completing and returning the appeal form in the meantime? When are the appeals held?Thanks. :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

roo007 wrote:Should we be completing and returning the appeal form in the meantime?
Yes, and you need to do that very promptly - the deadline for submitting the form is next Wednesday, 28th March. You do not need to submit your full appeal case at this atge, but just enter in the box on the yellow form that your evidence will follow.
When are the appeals held?Thanks. :?
The appeal must be held within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging an appeal, so that will be either late May or early June. Most LAs will hold the appeals as late as possible within that timescale to allow more allocation rounds to take place, thus reducing the number of appeals.
hashbrown*

Post by hashbrown* »

Hello Sally-Anne
I don't know if you remember? I wanted advise regarding my sons allocation for the 12 plus exam, he sat it last year. As advised I telephoned BCC , they told me he would be included in this years allocation for September.However, they couldn't reveal what position he was presently and that I would have to email them for that information. They mentioned that if I didn't hear from them by end of May then I should contact them again!
I do know that letters are sent out by the 6th May when dealing with first round allocations so why should I hear by the end of May?
Then I was told my son has a good chance since we live so close to the grammar school.Please could you reply!!
Hashbrown*
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hashbrown* wrote:I wanted advise regarding my sons allocation for the 12 plus exam, he sat it last year. As advised I telephoned BCC , they told me he would be included in this years allocation for September.However, they couldn't reveal what position he was presently and that I would have to email them for that information.
Have you done that? Even when you telephone BCC it is always wise to follow up by email.
They mentioned that if I didn't hear from them by end of May then I should contact them again!
I do know that letters are sent out by the 6th May when dealing with first round allocations so why should I hear by the end of May?
Again, I suggest you contact them by email to request an explanation in writing.

My suspicion is that they will be including him in the allocation round on 6th May but they haven't made that clear to you. I am assuming that no places have materialised in his year group since you provided your address evidence in September 2011, and that is the reason you haven't been contacted before now, but I think it needs to be made clearer to you where he stands. For example, does his application take priority over those who qualified this year? I would have thought that perhaps it should, according to "natural justice", but then again he may just be put into the melting pot with all the other children who qualified this year. What you must ensure is that he definitely is being considered alongside all of them, and at the moment you don't have that reassurance.

Please could you PM me to tell me which school you have named as your first preference?
hashbrown*

Post by hashbrown* »

Dear Sally-Anne thankyou very much for your promt reply.
The school I have put down as first choice is JHGS, makes sense as this is the nearest to our house. We were actually accepted as buckinghamshire residents in June 2011. Although I was relieved after being informed that he would be included in this years allocation round, I'm still very worried that because there are so few places for year 9 that he won't be given a place.
I'm sad that we have had to go through all this anxiety , on the contrary my son thoroughly enjoyed the VR exam as well as all the preparation that went towards it and was quite looking forward to starting the Grammar school.
Anyway, everything happens for the best.
The email has been sent out too.
Thankyou again for your promt reply.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The last record I have of the number of pupils in his year group was 151, as at January 2011. (Y7 at the time, now Y8.) If he isn't offered a place it would be worth an appeal though, because the school has gone over its admission number of 150 several times in recent years.