Papers versus cd's in terms of difficulty

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Annie

Agree with Sally-Anne, you have got plenty of time, there is just no need to 'tutor' for years, with regard to the Bucks 11 plus.

However, I do send my children away with homework on there hols[such a cruel tutor!] Its not necessarily a timed test, just a section a day at the breakfast table or a few quick fire maths questions or a few meanings of words.

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi to guest who posted a comprehensive analysis of the verbal reasoning CDs.

To add to point 5.

The Tutors CDs do contain the 2250 back-toback questions as you stated. The Tutors also publish a set of 12 preparation papers that contain a different question set to the CDs. These are available from the site as downloadable e-papers or as printed papers. There is therefore 3210 questions available from a single author.

Regards

Mike
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

patricia wrote:However, I do send my children away with homework on theie hols[such a cruel tutor!] ...
:twisted: !!!

Sally-Anne
AnnieD7

preparation

Post by AnnieD7 »

Many thanks ladies for the pearls of wisdom and for restoring my faith in humanity and not making me feel like a loser.

Sorry Sally Anne, but I am more inclined to agree and not take a break at all during the summer and go all the way through. Would anyone suggest one to one tuition with a teacher? I think regularity and momentum is surely the way to go and each parent knows what their child is capable of and just how much they can cope with. I know I'm not going to be popular but I don't care. My job is to stay firm and focused - with the appearance and aura of Confuscious. There'll be plenty of time for celebrations if we make it! :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A break for a short holiday - a wekk or so - is fine. Any longer and they forget ...
malkbk

Re: Papers versus cd's in terms of difficulty-INTUITION

Post by malkbk »

malkbk wrote:I am posting my question again as I did not give the last question a proper title.

My son is achieving between 38 and 44 out of 50 in the IPS VR short papers. We have just started the cd's and he is getting 100% almost every time. Surely the cd's are far easier than the papers?
(it is not possible to cheat is it?)

I thought I would just write to say that I have got to the bottom of this finally.
Whilst my son was in the bath the other day I thought I would just take a peek at his times for the cd tests. I have not had to go through the questions with him because he has been scoring so highly. When I spotted a 3 second time for a code question I began to smell a rather large rat!!!!
My darling son has been answering the same questions each time.
He has admitted doing it deliberately in order to get the test out of the way and score highly.
Perhaps he should get points for initiative?
Barbara
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Points for initative? Well, a gold star for I.T. maybe! Just the sort of thing my older one would do as well Barbara!

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Clear evidence that he should be in a Grammar school -
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now