please advise travel options from luton to Aylesbury grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lore

please advise travel options from luton to Aylesbury grammar

Post by lore »

Last edited by lore on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyb

Re: please advise travel options from luton to Aylesbury gra

Post by andyb »

This page of the BCC website gives council contracted transport to the various schools http://apps1.buckscc.gov.uk/eforms2005/ ... sport.aspx
I'm sorry my geography is not good enough to say whether any of them would be a viable option for you. The present system for those not entitled to free home-school transport is phone BCC transport service (Amey) at the beginning of April and ask to be put on the waiting list for a particular route. I don't know what will happen when/if the new transport debacle is imposed in September. There may also be public services that you could use.
HTH
roo007

Post by roo007 »

Hi lore,

As you live well outside the allocation area for both AGS & SHF you should not assume that you will be allocated either on 1 March.Given that you live in Luton you will probably only be allocated either school if they are 'All offered' this year like they were last year.We are in the same boat and live OoC and are keeping our fingers crossed for 1 March.

As regards transport from Luton to Aylesbury I'm afraid these is nothing apart from private car or public buses.To get from Luton to Aylesbury for the start of school in the morning on public bus would mean a very early start.By car it is at least 1 hour.There is a public bus back after school but that would take at least 1.5 hours to Luton.

I'm surprised you did not look into the logistics of getting your son to and from school before putting him in for the Bucks 11+ test and putting the Aylesbury schools on your preference form.This could be for the next 7 years!

Anyway best of luck :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Have you looked at the websites:

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.transportdirect.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm also slightly surprised that you didn't consider transport issues before applying to a school.
jemima

Post by jemima »

I live in Bucks - my parents live in Luton. It is soooo far! No way I'd ever take my children there after school - can't begin to imagine this on a day to day basis. Sorry.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I just put this into google maps. By car with no traffic it says 22 miles, 45 minutes. If you were to go by bus tomorrow morning you would leave Luton town centre at 4.44am and arrive in Aylesbury town centre at 7.12am!
scary mum
lore

Post by lore »

Last edited by lore on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

In Bucks the score in the 11plus is irrelevant (although of course you are proud of him :D ). They are deemed to have either "qualified" or not. I suppose it depends whether you think the grammar schools would be worth the travel time (although it barely looks do-able on public transport) compared to your local schools, of which I know nothing. Good luck with whatever you decide. Remember it's not just travel time, it'd the social aspect of not living close to any of your school friends as well.
scary mum
Jeepers

Post by Jeepers »

Not sure what other parents would do in this situation? …. and knowing about the trouble of the long jouney
I would have a look at the journey as soon as possible....a quick google will get you the relevant bus and train time tables...alternatively you may need to do a dummy run in the car on a normal day and before school time.

I think you need to answer the following questions for your car journey and any public transport options:

what time will he need to leave the house in the morning?
how long will any walk to the bus/train stop take him if you can't drive for any reason?
what time is the bus/train to get him there? what time would he get there if he missed it?
how long is the walk at the other end.
what is the total journey time
what time will he get home. will there be any impact on after school clubs or hobbies. How will he cope with homework on top.

then drive over there and have a quick look at all the bus stops etc (especially if you are planning to use this as your main form of transport) and the walk that you are asking him to do (especially the bits at your end, as the school end will have other children there).

work out how much this will cost and whether this could be a problem for you, especially for trains because I think they go up in cost at 16.

then work out what you will do if there is an emergency (he is ill or injured at school, or it snows)

then share this information with your ds and see if he is "up for it" or not, esp compared to your local alternative.

Once you have this information I guess you will be able to reach a decision that is right for your family.

If you think that you may have made a mistake then it gives you a chance to have a rethink and try to get a different school in the second round of applications. If you think its do-able, each day, every day for the next 7 years then its an informed choice.

Whatever you decide you have a bright boy who has done well, he will carry this ability with him wherever he goes.

Good luck
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Wouldn't be easier to try one of the Harpenden schools? St Georges is not far from the train station, and Roundwood is near a bus route. I know someone who lived in Dunstable and successfully got their daughter into St George's in year 8.