So, it's all kicking off ...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: So, it's all kicking off ...

Post by Looking for help »

Yes its very difficult, especially when you've been through it before with older ones and it's changed. Hopefully you'll get all the information you need in good time :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Marylou wrote:Regarding cost - wouldn't it be far more expensive to develop a new testing regime from the drawing board (to be ready for rollout in just over a year, presumably :shock: ), rather than to stick to the tried-and-tested GL assessment route?
Not if they go for the "cheap as chips option" - one English paper, one maths paper, no age standardisation.
Marylou wrote:Edited to add - regarding testing costs, shouldn't it be the grammar schools that pay these rather than the primaries, as it's the grammar schools that require them? Also - if it's the primaries that pay - where does that leave OOC schools?
It is the grammars that are paying, hence the drive to keep down costs.
faitaccompli wrote:Wonder whether Bucks will become opt in to do the 11+ rather than opt out if cost is more of a factor.
A possibility, because there are still many children who take the test simply because they don't want to be left out.
Mrs Chubbs wrote:Is one of the reasons that they are not wanting to give much notice, apart from the cost issue, is maybe that they want to avoid children being tutored for it? However, that would only apply to the first year.
I am afraid it won't work, whatever they do. Tutors will just broaden their services to include everything that could possibly come up - VR, NVR, English and maths, and ratchet up the number of hours they teach children for. That is exactly what happened in Birmingham, with some children being tutored to utterly ridiculous levels from a very young age.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Sorry S-A. Is the test to be taken in sept 2014 so for current yr 3 or for children who will start secondary in 2014 so current yr 4?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

MrsChubbs wrote:Is the test to be taken in sept 2014 so for current yr 3 or for children who will start secondary in 2014 so current yr 4?
It is the current Y4, with tests taking place in September 2013 and admission in September 2014.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Just as you think you're in control and know what you're doing ... in comes a curve ball :shock:

2nd DC due to take 11+ this October and although won't be affected by a change in the test itself there's the new review process!!!

3rd DC, current Y3 :shock: .... new test and review panel .... increase in wine consumption for me then!!! :roll:
Heartmum x x x
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

We'll be here to offer as much support and help as we can to all whom this will concern. And wine recommendat :wink: ions heartmum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

heartmum wrote:Just as you think you're in control and know what you're doing ... in comes a curve ball :shock:

2nd DC due to take 11+ this October and although won't be affected by a change in the test itself there's the new review process!!!

3rd DC, current Y3 :shock: .... new test and review panel .... increase in wine consumption for me then!!! :roll:
Agreed - thought we were in for a relatively straightforward run with DD3 as there would be none of the problems that badgered some of our previous applications. DD1: no issues, first-time applicant so just testing the water, really. August birthday also counted in her favour (in her case). DD2: no problems with test, but dispute over DD1's sibling status and had to go to appeal. DS: preparing for the test was sometimes like pulling teeth, but he got there in the end. DD3: really keen to join older siblings, already familiar with the type of test (very good at earwigging :lol: ), can't wait to get started. Haven't got the heart yet to tell her she'll be doing something different. :?

Haha just read your post, Mrs C. Thank you - all support and wine recommendations gratefully received! :wink:
Marylou
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I had heard rumours about this from various reliable sources and posted a topic about this recently. It seems, indeed, the rumours were true after all.

What I can't understand is why the council would tell the headteachers the process is changing without any details about how it will change. This only adds to the uncertainty. Surely they should release details when they know what the content / format of the new process is. If they have already decided to change, surely they must know this?
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

First time posting! at the risk of being shouted down I feel it is time to make the system fairer for all tutoring is getting out of hand, we have more and more children needing learning support and requiring extra time in public exams. Maybe a new exam would be a better way of assessing children suitable for Grammar school.I have been through the system over the past nine years with 4 children and it is very interesting to hear the comments coming from them.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lillie wrote:I had heard rumours about this from various reliable sources and posted a topic about this recently. It seems, indeed, the rumours were true after all.
The problem, Lillie, as I mentioned on your earlier thread, is that there is an annual rumour that "the test is changing for the current Year 4s". It has circulated without fail every year that I have been involved with the 11+, and is almost always accompanied by the statement that it was from "a reliable source"! People simply love to gossip and add that little frisson of excitement and anxiety to the whole process. Distinguishing between that and an actual plan to change the test is impossible.

Personally I was expecting the change to come the following year because BCC had offered to administer the test for 2 years following the conversion to academies. It seems that the cost of that is considered to be too high, and that has precipitated the earlier change.
Lillie wrote:What I can't understand is why the council would tell the headteachers the process is changing without any details about how it will change.
It isn't the council - it is something called the Head Teachers' Working Group, a group of grammar & upper school Heads who are driving the change on behalf of all the new academies.

As to telling us about the test content, we can only wait and watch.
MollyB wrote:First time posting! at the risk of being shouted down
Welcome, and you won't be shouted down, I assure you! This is a fairly civilised forum most of the time.
I feel it is time to make the system fairer for all
Agreed, but the unanswerable question has always been: "How?"
tutoring is getting out of hand,
It is not as out of hand in Bucks as it is in many areas, especially those where the grammars are the so-called "super-selectives", and whatever the new test consists of, tutoring won't go away. It happens in every area of the country where there are grammar schools.
we have more and more children needing learning support and requiring extra time in public exams.
Recognition of Special Needs has improved considerably in the last decade, and I think you would find that those increases have been mirrored in upper schools as well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now