Interpretation of SATs results for 12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crunchie

Re: Interpretation of SATs results for 12+

Post by crunchie »

Etienne wrote: Basically I suspect the average appeal panel will just want to be reassured that entry for the 12+ isn't going to be a complete waste of everyone's time! It would help if KS2 results were as close as possible to a level 5, or if there is alternative evidence of high ability in maths/English.
Hi Etienne,

Would two years of Cats tests for Quantitative showing Stanine 7 (above average) be sufficient evidence for high ability in Maths for an appeal together with the teacher assessment of level 5?
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Thank you Etienne

I'm a bit confused now my dd brought her SATs papers home today and using the link provided on page 1 of this topic I make it to be a level 5 for overall English. I contacted her teacher and he says that the overall English level is teacher assessment and it is level 4 for her taking into account all her work over the past year.
She's had a difficult start to this year and I believe level 5 reflects her ability more.

At the time of the 12+ application can I explain all this to avoid the appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

crunchie wrote:Would two years of Cats tests for Quantitative showing Stanine 7 (above average) be sufficient evidence for high ability in Maths for an appeal together with the teacher assessment of level 5?
It's entirely up to the individual panel to decide, but my view would be that it rather depends on the score. Stanine 7 ranges from 112-118, and I suspect the closer the score is to 121, the better it's going to look!

You already have some quite good evidence if there's a level 5 teacher assessment.

You could also consider submitting the end of year report, if it's good.

The primary school might be willing to write a letter, supporting entry to the late selection test?
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

nas3434 wrote:At the time of the 12+ application can I explain all this to avoid the appeal?
I doubt that it will be possible to provide explanations when applying. We need to wait and see exactly what the published rules will be for the coming year - they ought to be absolutely clear and objective. Any 'discretion' is then a matter for an appeal panel.
Etienne
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

thanks so much for that anotherdad and guest55. as its there last day at school where do i get these level 5 work from as there teacher wont be in today and the work they bring home today, how do i tell which is level 5 work, also would it not help if the school he is going to will do assesments in that fist month so if he achieves 5 or above can i show this at the appeal. im worried now as i have to go through this again after having bad news the first time.
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

Dear Khanj101 I followed your thread during your appeal process and was sorry things did not work out for you. I have just read your last few threads and I feel concerned that you are going to have to spend the next few months having to go through appeals once again with no guarantees.I am no expert on the appeal process but I hope you do not mind if I give you some advice (I am a mother of 4) I feel you should maybe look forward with positive thoughts regarding the school that your child has been allocated,support your child help him to feel good about himself and hopefully he will get into top sets and that would build his self esteem. I can't help feeling that if you are going to go down this route again with good sats results but not the results needed for Grammar school, it may end in disappointment once again for you and your family. Getting into Grammar school is not the be all and end all,remember all schools take the same GCSE's and A'levels, your child will need your support throughout these years and I can see that you care a lot,and I hope you do not mind if I say that I think you should move on give your child a big pat on the back,he has done very well especially with all the difficult extenuating circumstances your family have had. I wish you the best of luck.
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

thanks Mollyb for the the advice, i am aware that going through this whole ordeal again will be stressful but if i dont i might regret it in the near future.Yes you are right about that its not the end of the world if they dont atend a gs school , but as a mother i will try my hardest to get him the best education which i know is at the gs school which he wanted to go to. (some people may not think so)
I also do appreciate that he has done so well and im so proud of him, i know he will do so well in his new school but having that small hope of him going to this gs school which he loved and his best friend is going to, will give him more confidence and he will work even harder to achieve his goals and aspirations as he wont take it for granted. Thank you so much for your post and your advice.
TA123

Post by TA123 »

Asked the head on Friday about the raw scores and she said they would be available only by September.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not sure why the HT said that as all the papers are back in schools now. It's possible they are querying the marking but we were given our child's papers before the end of term when DC was in Year 6.
TA123

Post by TA123 »

Guest55 wrote:Not sure why the HT said that as all the papers are back in schools now. It's possible they are querying the marking but we were given our child's papers before the end of term when DC was in Year 6.
Probably we should've asked before as the school is likely to be closed now.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now