the tale of a girl

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
indiemom

Re: the tale of a girl

Post by indiemom »

@Tree,

thanks a lot for sharing this story with us, very very inspirational indeed.

I am so happy for your DD. All our heartfelt best wishes to her for wonderful achievents in her life so far and her future endeavours. My OH also tells me the same thing, if the kids face failure at this age it's better for them, there is still time for them to recover and turn around the situation. It might a be a bit hard for them in the begining to face the disappointment but then that might give them the inspiration to work harder towards their goals. Unfortunately for some it does not turn out to be like this but the main point is that parents need to be supportive all through out and encourage their DCs to achieve their full potential.

Thanks a lot again for this wonderful real life story.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Tree....hope she is doing well settling into Oxford.

Just a question, miles off for us, so things will change by then, but risborough sixth form has a fairly poor track record in getting able students to produce aab results at A Level..Well none of their high achievers did in 2013 - 0%!
My friend's boy is finishing dance acadamy this year and returning to risborough, so will be looking for a sixth form, he does not want to continue dancing anymore for reasons I will not go into details on here. Lord bills has an ok reputation for good a level results, 12% aab or higher in 2013, or about 30 pupils and about a third of their high achievers.

How easy is it to get a place in the sixth form if you did not attend the school, but have a half decent set of gcse results?
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Easy i think based on the observation that there certainly seem to be plenty of new people in sixth form see link:

http://www.lordwilliams.oxon.sch.uk/how ... /2518.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think they have a rule you need a B at GCSE but i'm not sure how strict that is, the quality of A level results do depend a little on subject i think, certainly english history geog econ maths sciences seem fine for getting up to an A but maybe worth looking in detail at numbers achieving what grades and if you need A*'s u prob need to do a lot of independent study. Certainly lots of DD's mates with offer's of AAB and above got their grades this year so i think if you are capable of this the school would facilitate it.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Thank you, out dog walking with his mum later, I will inform her of your advice :D
Purple Teapot

Post by Purple Teapot »

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while - my DD has just taken the 11plus - I took it many moons ago when it was the 12 plus and there was no pressure - we turned up did the tests and moved onto our next school - no peer pressure & definitely no parent pressure - We never talked about pass or failing we just went with the flow. How times have changed and it breaks my heart to hear parents talking about pass or failing the 11plus - Yes its a selection process to determine the next step in your education but we can all go on to do wonderful things with our lives through education, ambition and pure determination this doesnt not solely rely on whether you go to a grammar school or not. So this wonderful post about the tale of a girl should be printed on all 11plus papers and handed out to all parents -

And if I hear any parent saying that their children have "passed or failed" next week I might have to print out this tale and hand it too them. :shock:
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Totally agree with Purple Teapot
gilters

Post by gilters »

Well said Purple Teapot - couldn't agree more. Reading some people's posts on this forum, you'd think it was a matter of life or death, which it most certainly is not!
As long as my daughter is healthy and happy I cannot ask for any more than that!
Purple Teapot

Post by Purple Teapot »

Any funnily enough when children are happy at school they learn more !
So whatever the outcome next week I have said to my daughter enjoy your time at school (it is a relatively short time out of your life) have fun and do your best - and that is all I ask as a parent. :D
vasu

Post by vasu »

Tree, I am a transit over from Herfoshire section. We are expecting our results tommorow. Bookmark refered your thread. I am usually not at all emotional but your daughter's story brought tears to my eyes. I feel confident that whatever the result brings tommorow...there will be lots of tomorrows for my son when he will shine. I wish your daughter all the best for her future. Stay blessed.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Hi all on the forum I have an update to this v old thread and an interesting circle of life story.

As some of you may know by reading the university section, the girl of the title of this thread after failing her eleven plus and going to her local Comp and doing so well in her GCSE's then applied and got in to Oxford to study Economics and Management, is now taking her finals in a couple of weeks.

What makes this an interesting circle of life story is that she has a place with Teach First and will be teaching GCSE maths in a comprehensive school in September somewhere in the Southwest.

I'm not sure if she plans on teaching forever but is really excited and in particular due to her personal story set out above is passionate about comprehensive education and hugely enthusiastic about "giving something back". If anyone knows anything about Teach First the idea is to take high achieving academic graduates straight from university and with a scarily short amount of training (six weeks) set them loose on classes of 11-16 yr olds at comprehensives with at least 20% free school meals.

The scheme has lots of links to accountancy firms, banks with the opportunity for summer interns so keeping other options open, its for 2 years and the idea is that the school hopefully gains some young enthusiastic blood and the graduates an introduction to teaching and also some transferable skills.

Once again one of the messages I wanted to give with this whole thread was that no matter what the outcome of the 11+ selection process and however grim things may seem and whatever schools your DC's are going to next year it is still only a beginning to their academic lives and they can still thrive and prosper wherever they are.

Good luck to all you DC's.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now