first practice test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
new to all this

first practice test

Post by new to all this »

My daughter (july born) sat the first practice paper yesterday. I have deliberately withheld this (and the other familiarisation papers )from her to ensure they are a "true test", so I can gauge her progress. When she returned from school I asked her to redo the test ensuring she gave the same answers as in the mock. As the first test is designed to be easier, I was disappointed that she only scored a 74. She told me the correct answer to two other questions but admitted that she had answered them incorrectly in the mock. Naturally I told her she had done well and was not to worry but that she must double check her answers if she has spare time so she can spot mistakes. I am worried that this mark ( which is a little lower than in her work at home) would not be enough to pass. Does anyone have any insight into how this would reflect on her potential. Also with time running out, can anyone offer advice on what to concentrate on between now and the real tests? The last thing I want is for my daughter to lose her confidence or be unhappy (at any time) especially at this crucial stage.
hermanmunster

Re: first practice test

Post by hermanmunster »

Many kids will score less on the practice than they will at home - I suppose that is one of the advantages of practice sessions!

Maybe it it would be a good idea to let her chill out at this stage, I suspect she has got the message now about checking the answers :wink:
drummer

Post by drummer »

:?:

But isn't 74 a very good score?

Especially for a July born child???

:?
new to all this

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I agree Hermanmunster that the practice sessions could cause a candidates score to drop compared to their performance at home. I imagine the first experience of a formal exam in the assembly hall must be daunting. So it is great that all our children get the opportunity to have these trial runs.
Drummer, I agree that 74 out of 80 seems great (in any exam), however this is my first time going through the 11 plus process and I am truly bamboozled with regard to what scores would equate to the pass mark. My daughter came home stressing the fact that even if she had done well her teacher had said that the first practice is misleading as it is much easier than the actual exam. Also in her familiarisation sessions at school she said that practically the whole class (herself included) got every question right and that again the teacher had emphasised that they were much easier than the real thing. As I appear to be the only parent at my daughters school not providing external tutoring I have to admit I am now starting to worry in case I have let my girl down.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Your daughter must attend a very high-flying school then! Many of the children in my DD's class were getting sub 50 scores.

My daughter got 73, 72, and 76 in the practice tests and I am delighted and very relaxed. Our school makes no comment on the scores, save to say that the first test is easier.
new to all this

Wow drummer, sounds like your daughter is doing really well. I wish her every luck with the upcoming tests. My daughter's class seem like a pretty bright bunch but some will have worked through the familiarisation pack in advance to give them a confidence boost, so its hard to know how they willl fare in the real exam. I thought this seemed counterproductive. I know though that my daughter , like so many girls, has a tendency to compare herself unfavourably with her peers. I have been really laid back until now as I feel, she is bright and has willingly worked with me at home which is all any parent can ask. I guess this time of year just brings on the odd moment of panic ( which I make sure to conceal from her).
FeelingSick

Post by FeelingSick »

Sounds like she is doing well to me.

My kid only completed 65 questions last time out. Hey ho.
new to all this

To feeling sick. We all know that feeling. Remember they all have their off days, and thank goodness, they get two attempts at the real thing. Fingers crossed for your child.
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

We are still waiting for the school to take the Practise tests as they are still doing familiarisation sessions.
Their HT said the they will start the Practise tests in Week staring September 24, 2012 a week before the actual Bucks exam.

I think they are too late.

Regards

Sonia
new to all this

That does seem rather late,but I suppose its the preparation rather than the timing of the familiarisation that matters. Good luck Sonia with the sessions and the exams.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now