Good Luck for First Bucks Paper (04/10/12)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manny0311

Re: Good Luck for First Bucks Paper (04/10/12)

Post by Manny0311 »

I agree nothing is that easy..little silly misatkes can occur as we know and they can add up...hopefully for us all this is not going to be the case. May be having tackled more difficult papers for some of them during the course, it has made the real thing feel a little easier for them. I'm just glad this one is over !

So I take it the ones that didn't appear in this one will definitely appear in the other...is this normally the case ????
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Manny0311 wrote:So I take it the ones that didn't appear in this one will definitely appear in the other...is this normally the case ????
Yes, that's usually what happens. But there will also inevitably be some types (about 3-4) that come up in both papers, and of course every paper generally has two type Zs as standard.
Marylou
patricia

Post by patricia »

Manny0311 wrote: So I take it the ones that didn't appear in this one will definitely appear in the other...is this normally the case ????
12 types appear in Test 1

The other 9 appear in Test 2. In addition the Zs will reappear together with 2 from the 1st paper.

Patricia
sbates

Post by sbates »

My son averaged 75 in practice on Walsh papers with time to spare. Today, he missed five questions. You can never be complacent or know what will happen on the day. Just hoping he doesn't throw his last chance away next week. :(
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

scary mum wrote:Beagle123, as mentioned above children will be sitting exactly the same test for the next few months.

If it was easy, the pass mark will be high (sorry, but I think it's a bit odd for so any people to say it was "easy". There will be large numbers of children for whom it was nothing but easy).
What I understand from this is out of catchmnet, ill children , etc will be taking the same test our DC took today.

I cant understand by this "pass mark will be high"

Can smeone plz explain this.

Sonia
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Sbates
Sorry to hear that..How do you know he missed 5 ? Was this purely becuase of time ?
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

sbates wrote:My son averaged 75 in practice on Walsh papers with time to spare. Today, he missed five questions. You can never be complacent or know what will happen on the day. Just hoping he doesn't throw his last chance away next week. :(
.. same in our house Sbates .. averaging 75 on Walsh and time to spare and today just fell apart. DC is so annoyed with what they did, especially as 3 out of the 5 questions they got wrong they knew (done before on a practice paper) but went blank! Just hope there weren't any more silly mistakes!!! :(
Heartmum x x x
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

patricia wrote:
Manny0311 wrote: So I take it the ones that didn't appear in this one will definitely appear in the other...is this normally the case ????
12 types appear in Test 1

The other 9 appear in Test 2. In addition the Zs will reappear together with 2 from the 1st paper.

Patricia
Type Z

An examination consisting of two test papers has 21 different question types, one of which is guaranteed to appear on both papers. If each paper includes questions from 12 question types, and all 21 types have to be covered by the two papers, what is the maximum number of question types that will appear on both papers?

(I guess I got that one wrong, then! :roll: :lol: )
Marylou
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sonia wrote:
scary mum wrote:Beagle123, as mentioned above children will be sitting exactly the same test for the next few months.

If it was easy, the pass mark will be high (sorry, but I think it's a bit odd for so any people to say it was "easy". There will be large numbers of children for whom it was nothing but easy).
What I understand from this is out of catchmnet, ill children , etc will be taking the same test our DC took today.

I cant understand by this "pass mark will be high"

Can smeone plz explain this.

Sonia
If a paper is easy, more children will get most of them right, so the 25-30% passing will come from a narrower band at the top, so in theory, one year 70 could be a pass, another year ( or another week) it could be 72.
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

There is a lot of good advice here from the mods and experienced parents. How your child found the test is, much more often than not, completely irrelevant as an indicator as to how they did in the test.

If the test was genuinely easy than it was easy for everyone (whether they found it so) and as the scores are all standardised against all the other children who took THAT particular test then the raw score needed to qualify will be higher.

If the test was genuinely relatively difficult than it was difficult for everyone (whether they found it so) then the raw score needed to qualify will be lower.

It could be that some children may have found the test easy because they were taken in by all the trick questions that can appear while others may have found it hard because the pressure hit them harder than they anticipated but they could still have done really well. There is no way for you to know.

I have know children who have cried after the test because "it was so hard" score 141 and children who laughed it off as " surprisingly easy" fail by a good margin AND everything in-between.

So, do yourselves and your children a favour by forgetting about it completely. Pat them on the back for coping with the experience and look forward to burning all your prep material on Wednesday evening.

And, if you think this is stressful then PLEASE make sure than you plan to be VERY busy during the last week of November. Those last few days are a killer!!