Queries Relating 11+ Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sonia

Queries Relating 11+ Results

Post by Sonia »

Hi,

After DD todays certain queries that are coming in my mind

1) Suppose if the second paper is even easier than paper 1 and most of the children score 72/80or 72+/80, during the standardiration process they will increase the pass marks.
2) Is their a certain pass rate/ fixed no. set by BCC as there are fixed no of seats in Bucks Grammar school. again suppose 6000 (in catchment and out of catchment ) children applied for 1500 seats they will only pass 1500 children including girls /boys.
3) Can some post here/ pm me the format of the 11+ result we will receive. Will it have the information of have both the actual score out of 80 and the standardized?

Regards

Sonia
Cargogirl

Re: Queries Relating 11+ Results

Post by Cargogirl »

Hi Sonia

Can't help wth 1 or 2 I'm afraid but hopefully one of the knowledgeable moderators will be along later with the answers.

Re 3- no you don't get the mark out of 80- believe you can only get this by paying and applying to county at a later date.
On the results you will just get the standardised score of up to 141 for each paper.

Hope that answers one of your queries?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Suppose if the second paper is even easier than paper 1 and most of the children score 72/80or 72+/80, during the standardiration process they will increase the pass marks.
I hope you are still saying it was easy come the end of November. "Most" children will not achieve 72/80, but yes if it is a high scoring year the pass mark will be pushed up slightly. In reality, spread over the whole county & beyond, I imagine it makes little difference and the pass mark will be similar, within a couple of marks each year (for each birth month).

Your DC will receive just the standardised score between 69-141 for each paper. Only one needs to be 121 or over. The same percentage will pass each year due to standardisation, and as similar numbers sit the tests each year, a similar number will pass.
scary mum
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

Hi Cargogirl,

How does one apply for that from the council? Would you have any idea re:fee and what info we would get? Is there a link that could give more info on this.

Thanks in advance.

StacatoMum
drummer

Post by drummer »

Sonia wrote:Hi,

After DD todays certain queries that are coming in my mind

1) Suppose if the second paper is even easier than paper 1 and most of the children score 72/80or 72+/80, during the standardiration process they will increase the pass marks.
2) Is their a certain pass rate/ fixed no. set by BCC as there are fixed no of seats in Bucks Grammar school. again suppose 6000 (in catchment and out of catchment ) children applied for 1500 seats they will only pass 1500 children including girls /boys.
3) Can some post here/ pm me the format of the 11+ result we will receive. Will it have the information of have both the actual score out of 80 and the standardized?

Regards

Sonia

How can you possibly know whether test 1 was 'easy' ?

IF it was RELATIVELY easy then the RAW score needed to qualify may move by a mark or two but as the scores are standardised that is irrelevant - the same proportion of children will qualify (as the top performing 30% or so).

You will get the standardised score at the end of November.

Should you have cause to appeal a non-qualification score then I think you can ask for the raw scores.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Sonia, You should look through this thread

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=18356
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We usually publish something like this after the results come out in November:
Where a child has taken part in the 11+ testing process parents are able, upon receipt of
the appropriate fee, to request the following (under the terms of the Data Protection Act
1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000):
1. Raw scores - £10
2. Test paper remark - £25 (£15 as the paper will be marked by hand plus £10 as the
raw scores will also be released)
3. Test paper analysis - £25 (as above)
All such requests must be made within 21 days of the parents receiving notification of their
child's performance in the tests (Section 12 of the D P Act). Where a request is received
after this date, the LA can refuse to provide the information.
The additional £15 fee (in 2 and 3 above) is payable as under Schedule 7(9) of the Freedom
of Information Act 2000, the LA is not required to provide exam scripts or the information
recorded in them, hence the LA is required to undertake extra work in order to provide the
requested information.
In all instances, we would suggest that the parent discusses their intention to request such
information with you [the headteacher] and that where possible the request is made via the school.
All requests must be made in writing and be accompanied by the appropriate fee, cheques
should be made payable to Buckinghamshire County Council.
N.B. There is no guarantee whether all of the above will remain unchanged this year.

When I used to hear selection appeals, panels often asked parents "And how did your child find the tests?" More often than not, it turned out that the child had performed better in the test he/she was less happy about!

My conclusion is that there is little correlation between what the child thinks of the test and the eventual standardised score!
Etienne
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

Thanks Etienne for posting this. Glad you guys are untiring and really patient with us in answering questions.

Best regards,
StacatoMum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now