Further allocation rounds (after the March allocation)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dad40

Further allocation rounds (after the March allocation)

Post by Dad40 »

I have two questions on how the process works if you have received your initial allocation offer in March but you decide to go on the waiting list for another school. This subject is generally well covered on Page 18 of the Secondary admission guidance.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that the process described on Page 18 completely relies upon there being free places in some schools after the March allocation AND also on some parents deciding to reject the initial offer (i.e. outright rejection with possibly no corresponding request to go on a waiting list)? That is how it appears to me, because if everyone who wants a ‘better’ school still accepts the initial allocation offer before going on a waiting list (as Page 18 recommends), then surely no places are freed up to enable re-allocation to happen…(?)

Secondly, on page 5 of the same document, it suggests that all further allocation rounds take place twice-monthly in the period July-September. I make that a total of 6 further allocation rounds (3 months x 2). I’ll assume for now that the 2 rounds in September are conducted AFTER the Autumn term has started. My question is: do the geographical limits published in the March allocation profile gradually extend in a linear fashion through those 6 allocation rounds or do they, for example, move only slightly in the first 4 rounds and then move a huge amount in the last 2 rounds after pupils have (or more to the point have not) turned up at their offered school?

Does anybody out there know the answers to these questions (or even have anecdotal evidence)?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now