walsh 11 plus papers/AFN

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

marmite1705

walsh 11 plus papers/AFN

Post by marmite1705 »

Does anyone use the walsh 11+papers and AFN papers as preparation for the 11+???
What do you think of the Walsh papers???

The teacher doing some familiarisation at school with Class five seems to think Walsh are very similar to the real 11+. Is the real 11+ as hard as these papers???
My child gets worked up with the Walsh papers and gets 16 or so wrong whereas with AFN only gets two or three wrong at the most.
My child gets quite distraught at getting so many wrong and I do think that Walsh is particularly difficult. We've used all the IPS and Tutors etc.. as well and they don't seem to be so hard as Walsh.

At school in familiarisation she got them all right, and in previous verbal reasoning tests she has exceeded the pass mark.

Any thoughts or advice for a concerned mum!!???
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Marmite1705

There was an extended debate from October 2006 covering the Walsh papers in some depth.

The general opinion was similar to what you have found yourself.

In most peoples experiences the Walsh test papers are more difficult than the real 11+ papers.

Sometimes over preparing a child could be a good thing because the children can perceive the real tests to be easy.

However, it is important that the children are not demotivated by low scores in difficult papers.

Teachers are not always the best judges as to what the content of the real tests are.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Marmite

AFN are definitely easier than the real test.

I take it you are in a private school because Bucks state schools are not allowed to coach.

You still have the Susan Daughtrey[Bright Sparks] to complete [8 tests] and the 4 Nfer tests.

I would use the AfN and Walsh just to dip into sections at a time.

Patricia
marmite1705

Walsh and 11+

Post by marmite1705 »

Hi,

No not at a private school. We're in a Bucks combined school. They are just doing some familiarisation tests covering question types but not coaching as such.
I'm mainly coaching at home although my child has coached herself really.
I just encourage her and explain any she got wrong after the test.
We've done the Bright Sparks and NferNelson.
All that was left to do are the Walsh 3 which she is getting very upset about.
We'll have to rub some papers out I think and re-do some to re-gain some confidence.
patricia

Re: Walsh and 11+

Post by patricia »

Dear Marmite

There is still 3/4 months until the tests so yes , I agree you need to repeat some of the tests, your daughter will not remember all the answers but needs to keep up her pace.

Use the Bright Sparks followed by the Nfer [remembering to practice HIKNOS while completing these.]

Your school should NOT be covering any VR questions what so ever. The ONLY familiarisation allowed is the official NFER packs sent to school during this term.

Keep up the good work.

Patricia
marmite1705

11+ maths brackets

Post by marmite1705 »

They must be using the familiarisation packs sent to them then.

Also I noticed in a previous thread that you say that NFER in the real 11+ do not use maths brackets.
Is this correct as my child has used them all along and is getting quite good at them now. They used to terrify her!!

Thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Marmite

You are thinking of type K Bracket maths, yes they most definitely appear. I was talking about Walsh using brackets in their maths questions

eg. 4 +[ 3 x 6] etc

Nfer do not use these brackets, child does not need to know bodmas.

Patricia

tests

Post by Guest »

hi patricia
are these familiarisation tests same every year or they do change the contents/questions every year?
nisahnt
patricia wrote:Dear Marmite

You are thinking of type K Bracket maths, yes they most definitely appear. I was talking about Walsh using brackets in their maths questions

eg. 4 +[ 3 x 6] etc

Nfer do not use these brackets, child does not need to know bodmas.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nishant

The shop bought NFER tests have not changed for many years, same questions same types [but only 15]

The familiarisation papers that are given to the schools have not changed since infancy, there are hundreds of them out in the community [ children with older brothers and sisters] same questions, same types.[21]

Heads are advised not to use the scores from these tests for appeals because some children may have practised them prior to completing them in school.

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Patricia

Have edited text, I knew what I meant to say!!!!

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now