School Visits

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Re: Admissions 2008 Entry

Post by Guest »

hi i call RGS to arrange a suitable time to visit the school before summer holidays they simply refused and said that the only time we can go there is during open day which is in september, i guess. i was just hoping to go there with our son beforehand so that he is not getting too nervous or anxious about whole of this 11+ saga nearer the exam time. if someone come across new info please post it. thanx.

quote="patricia"]Dear All

For your information, click the relevant headings on the following link.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/leade ... /index.asp

Patricia[/quote]
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

I have moved your post to it's own shiny new thread, as the "Sticky" is for information of interest to all Bucks parents, not for a specific issue.

I'm afraid that some schools do have a policy of not showing parents around other than on Open Day/Evening, claiming that it is "disruptive" or takes up too much staff time.

I suggest you go to the Open Day/Evening and collar the Head directly to make your request. Or write to him this half-term.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is disgraceful! Any school should be willing to organise a weekly slot for interested parents to have a tour - this is not disruptive its good PR!!

I would try a few others and see of you get a similar response ....

Post by Guest »

I have even heard tell that some schools frown on you taking Year 5 children to the open evenings, since they are intended for Year 6... But perhaps this is just rumour.

Given the high stress and exhaustion levels exhibited by Year 6 children pre-11+, why don't schools run their open days in the summer term? Is there a practical reason for this? Some of these open evenings are even scheduled between papers! I refused to take my child to the open evenings for either of the two schools (1 GS, 1 Upper) available to her, and arranged a private visit to the school after the results came out. They were very accommodating.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

For that very reason, I always recommend that everyone should visit their "long-list" of preferred schools in year 5, and then only go back to the first choice school in year 6.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I suspect they are in September because the prospectus would be out of date if issued in June/July - staff list would not be up-to-date and 2007 results could not be included.

I agree with Sally-Anne's advice to look round in Year 5 - only one school took our name when we visited.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest and Guest

Some grammars do not like showing parents around their schools during the day, you have to question why? It is not disruptive as the tours are conducted using 6th formers. If you keep 'pushing' most will offer.

The schools are not likely to know whether your child is in year 5 or not, they don't seem take a register.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

We were shown around RLS in Buckingham several years ago by some extremely mature and polite (and probably carefully chosen) year SEVENS! They were delighted at the prospect of having a valid reason for entering the 6th form's dedicated study area (normally out of bounds to them!) :D

Needless to say we were most impressed at the time and our instincts relating to our choice of school have since proved correct.
solimum

school visits

Post by solimum »

My immediate instinct would be to run a mile from any school which displayed such an arrogant attitude to potential future pupils and their parents - it doesn't bode well for future harmonious relations! I suppose it is a consequence of being massively oversusnscribed - they don't have to "sell" the school to you as there are hundreds of others clamouring to be admitted. Of course it is easier to organise visits for lots of people in one go, but what about people moving from other parts of the country for example, who may want to visit several schools at short notice. I remember when we moved to this area 14 years ago being very impressed with the infant school that was happy to let a couple of Year 2 pupils show us around the classrooms!
abc123

Post by abc123 »

I am not a teacher, governor, or anything else but I would have to say that I feel some sympathy with the school. The prospect of potentially hundreds of parents wanting individual guided tours during the summer term would fill me with horror.

Summer term is full of internal and external exams report-writing, school trips, sports days, etc. I may feel a little more obliging if some requested tours at other times of the year - I'm sure some of the teachers here may be able tp pinpoint a more appropriate time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now