CAF Advise

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: CAF Advise

Post by scary mum »

Sorry, Sonia, I was replying to the other poster. I'm sure someone will be along with some advice about the other schools soon. Have you been to visit them? You will get a feel for which school is best for your DC regardless of what other people think. Have you looked at the Ofsted reports/league tables etc?
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sonia,
Sonia wrote:Can we apply or Dr Challoners as when I checked the distance of google maps it was showing me 8.2 miles . I also checked Allocation profiles on the forum and it says IA to 7.667 mls
"IA" means in catchment. You live in High Wycombe, and that is not in catchment for Challoners. It is likely to be a wasted choice, not to mention the travel.

StacatoMum,
StacatoMum wrote:As we have two possible Grammar School choices in our area, I was actually advised by a headmaster from an upper school that I have to really choose between the two and just put in one- since, IF my DS passes the required grade, he would get placement on whatever I put as 1st preference- since we are in the catchment area.
Living in catchment does not guarantee you a place at your first preference school, as some parents in the far south of Bucks find out to their cost each year when applying to Dr Challoners boys' school. It all depends on how close you are to the school.
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Extremely thankful SA

What u say abut our listing on Schools on the CAF are they OK
1) Wycombe High School
2) Beaconsfield High School
3) Chesham Grammar School
4) Highcrest Academy
5) Sir Willaim Ramsay
6) Holmer Green

Secondly what I need to put in "Other Reasons" If you can give me some exmple.

Regards

Sonia
drummer

Post by drummer »

You don't need to put anything in 'other reasons'. If your child has some special need (social, emotional, medical etc) that would form the basis of an over-subscription appeal THEN you would mention these in the 'reasons' section.

You haven't mentioned your child having any such needs (as far as I am aware anyway) so I don't think you need put anything.
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks Drummer,

I got confused and thought we need to mention some reasons why we are mentioning the school on the CAF.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Your choices look pretty sensible, Sonia, although please be aware that Highcrest is using "banding" this year for the first time, based on score not distance.

The other check to make is whether one of those Upper Schools an absolute certainty for you, given where you live? Provided it is, you have got the right names on there.

Drummer is right about the "other reasons".
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

She has given the banding test and scored 133/140 for highcrest academy.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sonia wrote:She has given the banding test and scored 133/140 for highcrest academy.
Wow! That is a very good score, and I would think that would secure a place if she doesn't qualify for GS, but we will just have to see what happens in practice.

There are more "unknowns" in Bucks this year than in 6 decades of Dr. Who ... :roll:
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

Thanks for clearing it up Sally and and Scarymum, and I thought I was actually helping sharing what I picked up from the head master. I didn't intend to bump the original post. Hmm, good I haven't submitted the CAF yet, although as I can see it, the Grammar School we chose is the nearest one to our place and that is going to be our 1st preference. Great for pointing me towards the link on "myths" too.
mudassar

Post by mudassar »

Hi Sonia (and everyone else),
This is my 1st post on this lovely forum.
I live in the same postcode as you do, and have listed Sir William Borlase Grammar School as an option.
This is a mixed gender school and close to our postcode. Have you considered this one?

As far as highcrest academy is concerned, it used to be called 'prison on the hill'.
The education standards have since increased and it is now a much better institution.
Your child will need to sit NVR test to be considered for this school.

I have personally listed Highcrest as one of my options!

Last, but not least, have you been to open evenings?

Regards

M
You tickle my mind and I’ll tickle yours.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now