Bucks 11+ (First past the Post)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
proudmom

Re: Bucks 11+ (First past the Post)

Post by proudmom »

To be honest I would rather have had the test done and dusted with in September/ early October.
Points to consider, Bucks parents...

1. OOC will be competing each other, not Bucks children, as they will be considered for a place only if Bucks kids don't make it ( am I wrong?)
2. Aren't you glad your exams are over and you can go away on holidays.. :mrgreen:
3. You can concentrate on mathematics and English for independent schools which are in January. Our indies don't have VR.
4. Strange environment? For my DD all exams taken so far have been in strange environments. She was not given option of taking it in her school with her friends on any of the tests.
5. All parents know the difficulty of getting a child to do practice tests. Give me an early test date any day. It would have been easier to do this test with other tests which had VRs. We have run out of decent material to practice with as well.
6. Our poor kids are made to write it by their parents so they can go to a decent school. However they would get in only if the school is undersubscribed (what are the odds?), even if they score highly. This information has been withheld from them by the dps. :(

I'll trade any day. Sorry for my ranting :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There are many who consider it an advantage to take exactly the same test 4 weeks later due to leakage of exam content. And while I don't necessarily agree with the next one, they are Bucks schools so some people might think that you shouldn't feel too hard one to :D
scary mum
helennash

Post by helennash »

Jpk wrote:Count yourself lucky that you are doing it next week. Other bucks kids did theirs in early october. Does anyone else think this unfair.....not that it impacts me but does seem a little unfair?
Just for the record, when I started this post I wasn't complaining, just looking for advice. As I said it is what it is! It will NEVER be a case of taking a place from any Bucks child as if there are not enough spaces it will be the OOA who will not get a place. No complaints there either. Also if anyone out there feels the need to 'leak' some of the questions to me I would be more then happy to listen.
Apu1923

Post by Apu1923 »

helennash, we are finding First Past the Post hard as well. I could not register for peer compare online as I cant seem to enter the county in the registration. Did you get past that hurdle? I was hoping to do it so I can gauge where DC stands.
BTW, have you scanned and send the admit slip to bucks council, just realised we had to do it!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Also if anyone out there feels the need to 'leak' some of the questions to me I would be more then happy to listen.
In that case then you may well be taking a place from a Bucks resident as all the tests are standardised together. One extra correct answer will mean another child moves down in standardisation and loses a place. This is why many people feel that the current testing process is unfair on those who sat tests weeks ago.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

helennash wrote: Just for the record, when I started this post I wasn't complaining, just looking for advice.
Bearing this in mind, could we please now stay on topic?
Etienne
helennash

Post by helennash »

Apu1923 wrote:helennash, we are finding First Past the Post hard as well. I could not register for peer compare online as I cant seem to enter the county in the registration. Did you get past that hurdle? I was hoping to do it so I can gauge where DC stands.
BTW, have you scanned and send the admit slip to bucks council, just realised we had to do it!!
No, I didnt register for the peer online, I didnt want to depress myself. I did scan the form over after the 10th try as it kept coming back saying the mail box was full. They didnt confirm whether they have received it or not, so not really sure. Good luck for your dc on Mon and Wed. Bit of a shame they have to do it on Halloween.
Do you know whether they give the children time checks within the exam, ie, five minutes left etc.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry for going off topic but an admission by a parent that they are willing to cheat would upset anyone.
helennash

Post by helennash »

Oh please! Guest 55 - surely you were aware that I was being ' tongue in cheek'? If I was going to cheat, do you not think I would be slightly less obvious in my request.

I do actually agree with you regarding the stupidity of having the same papers for late sitters. Not so much for the out of areas, but for the children who may attend schools in Bucks but are sick on the day and have to do the test later. Children talk to each other and questions can be leaked out.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

helennash wrote:Do you know whether they give the children time checks within the exam, ie, five minutes left etc.
Yes, there are time checks at 25 minutes ("You have had half your time") and again at 5 minutes before the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now