How are tutors responding to the new Bucks test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KenR

Re: How are tutors responding to the new Bucks test?

Post by KenR »

is it fair for the test to include material such as specific maths methods that may not yet have been covered in the curriculum?
Hi Marylou

No it's probably not fair - but the 11+ test has never been fair anyway!

The same applies to vocabularly anyway. The KE foundation requirements for the B/Ham were originally to design a test that gives competitive advantage to candidates with a reading age of 14.5 to 15 years. Hence the reason why words such as inaugurate, gregarious, antiquity, pompous frivolous and superfluous appear regularly in CEM tests.

The fact that the test is now right at the beginning of year 6 does mean that some KS2 material won't have been covered. So you are correct in saying that some aspects of the the CEM exam will favour either children who have have enhanced parential education or additional tutition. However equally you could argue that up till now Bucks children did generally require some supplemental training in the techniques required to tackle the NFER/GI 21 types, either at home or from tutors.

I think we all have to accept that when it comes to the 11+, children from middle class backgrounds whose parents provide significant supplemental education at home do have a significant advantage.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

Would it not be a valid issue to raise during this "consultation" process that we have feedback from other areas which use the CEM testing showing that advanced maths and vocabulary skills are required which could only be gained by tutoring a child? So much for the test being fairer and tutor-resistant!

Not that the other test was good, but they should stop trying to claim this new test will make it a more level playing field if it is true children will be faced with the possibility of algebra type questions and extremely advanced vocabulary. I had to look up the meaning of one of the words! :lol:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

KenR wrote:antiquity, pompous frivolous and superfluous
KenR, were those words random examples or did they come to you whilst you were considering Bucks' selection system?!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

anotherdad wrote:
KenR wrote:antiquity, pompous frivolous and superfluous
KenR, were those words random examples or did they come to you whilst you were considering Bucks' selection system?!
:lol:
Lillie wrote:Would it not be a valid issue to raise during this "consultation" process that we have feedback from other areas which use the CEM testing showing that advanced maths and vocabulary skills are required which could only be gained by tutoring a child?
Excellent idea! :)
Marylou
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Marylou wrote:Found it - it's in IPS 2. Names changed to protect the innocent!

Derek is twice as old as Rodney was last year. Cassandra is 8. Rodney is three years older than Cassandra was last year.
How old is Derek?

Here's the CEM question:

Derek is five years older than Rodney, and Rodney is 2 years younger than Cassandra. If Derek is 14, then
- how old is Cassandra?
- how old is Rodney?

There is clearly a lower level of reasoning involved in the CEM question. Perhaps it's just an example of the difference between VR and Maths? :?
Past experience is that the Warwickshire sample questions simply give an idea of the layout and style, not the actual difficulty.
KenR

Post by KenR »

antiquity, pompous frivolous and superfluous

Maybe my subconcious Freudian thinking! Or perhaps I should have included nauseous, covert, bewildered and unorthordox which also appear frequently.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

As I use CLOZE in the day job, it can be easily adapted, but there's a very obvious source of age related materials, that can be used straight off the shelf (well, internet) to get people started.
Not that obvious (or maybe I'm just thick!) could you point me in the right direction?

I'm really concerned about my tutors response to the changes so am thinking I need to do some prep myself (although it galls me slightly to be paying ££££'s for something I feel is inadequate and I don't really know how to address this with them).

Regarding vocab and non fiction reading, other then the broadsheets what would people recommend?
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

I've just heard that two local tutors - one a governor in a couple of schools, one works in a local school - are planning on continuing with GL 21 question types for the time being. I've suggested the parents ask what the tutors are basing that decision on. I wonder how many other tutors are continuing in similar vein? And how are the organisations that tutor large classes going to meet the challenge? I'd be interested to hear from anyone out there using one of those organisations.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

dyslexichelpneeded wrote:I've just heard that two local tutors - one a governor in a couple of schools, one works in a local school - are planning on continuing with GL 21 question types for the time being. I've suggested the parents ask what the tutors are basing that decision on. I wonder how many other tutors are continuing in similar vein? And how are the organisations that tutor large classes going to meet the challenge? I'd be interested to hear from anyone out there using one of those organisations.
They clearly don't read EPE then!
scary mum
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

I completely agree there are some tutors who will take advantage of anxious parents I have heard many stories over the years.We have been through the 11 plus for Bucks Grammar Schools with my 4 boys one sat a late transfer test before we moved here nearly 8 years ago with no prep just the familiarisation pack sent to us ( he had been at an independent School) two had a tutor for the summer before the 11 plus about 8 sessions, the youngest who is in year 7 had no tutoring just practice at home he read lots and did know his times tables well. I was in the minority not doing the whole year before tutoring but thankfully he was fine and he got through!
I think it has to be good all round that the test is changing it has become crazy with children starting tutoring in year 4. Children sitting this first test at least will be in a much better position as they will all be in the same boat hopefully and will not be under such pressure as having to acheive above 90% to secure a pass. I sat a Grammar School test back in the day... and we just turned up and sat it and the children that were the most able passed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now