Dr Challoners Boys or Haberdashers or City of London

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tumpa

Dr Challoners Boys or Haberdashers or City of London

Post by tumpa »

have got a decision dilemma. Wonder what others would be choosing in my scenario or indeed in individual scenarios.
My son has got a place in Dr Challoners Grammar school (live within catchment in less than 3 miles, so should be confirmed.
He has also got a Fee-paying place in both Haberdashers and City of London Boys.
Now what shall i do?
Go private for that additional wow factor (allegedly) and therefore move to a smaller home/different area/less vacations for life et al
OR stick to DCGS as it is a very very good school as well and buy a decent home/use spare cash for other pleasures :-)

I guess it is a good choice to have but it is a very very difficult one. Just wondering what fellow parents would have done, no pressure!
scary mum

Re: Dr Challoners Boys or Haberdashers or City of London

Post by scary mum »

DCGS in my opinion, but only you know what is best for your family. Think of the travel time too.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi tumpa

I have removed your son's score from your post because it is irrelevant to the school allocation - all that matters is that he got 121 or more and you live close enough to the school within catchment. At a distance of 3 miles he will definitely gain a place.

I agree with scary, and also suggest DCGS. Parents I know with boys there describe it as being like a private school, but paid for by the state.

Those school fees will pay for an awful lot of other activities for you and your family over 7 years. Anyway, the alleged "wow factor" is dependent on what he makes of any school when he gets there. Habs or CLB on your CV are no good if you don't get the results.

S-A
tumpa

Post by tumpa »

Sally-Anne
Thanks for yur views and apologies for the slip-up on score.
Thanks to scary mum as well.
Agree that almost £400K in 7 yrs before hitting uni (hv 2 boys and therefore can't differentiate) is a significant sum f money!!
My son has almost left it to us as he says he can't spot much difference as such b/w DCGS and the other 2 (although he did say once that the Habs boys were smarter, which i tend to agree). However is this a deal breaker?
I guess i am suffering from a conscience/ guilt-feeling: that if I don't go private, am I depriving him of a really great experience which could be a differentiator in future (not just in terms of academics).
But then again I am not convinced myself as DCGS boys looked quite smart, well-grounded to me when we took the school tour.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Tumpa - check your private messages (look at the top of the screen & click on where it says you have a message)
scary mum
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

Tumpa We had the same decision to make with our sons in year 6 at Prep School.We chose DCGS for all of them we have now been at DCGS for nine years and have never regretted making that decision.School fees were not a consideration as we were in a fortunate position. You have to think very carefully regarding the changes you would have to make regarding moving house and downsizing. You mentioned you have another child again this whole family move will impact on your other child too. The independent Schools we looked at were much closer to Amersham had you not considered closer Schools? You did not mention how long you have lived in this area, again we felt that it was important that our children had local friends. Our main priority regarding education was that our children should have the same standard of education we had, I attended a selective Independent School and my husband a superselective Grammar School. If I am honest I felt a little guilty to begin with as I felt I was depriving the boys of the type of education I had, but I need not have worried. They have achieved highly they have great friends and are happy. It is very much a family community and most of the teachers are excellent.
As parents you may have to put in a few extras for example with out of school sports as it is very difficult to get into a team. A lot of parents use tutors for public exams but again if you are not paying School fees parents don't seem to mind topping up.
Some children join the Independent sector in year nine or move for the sixth form again another option for you. If you turn down a place now you may not get another chance as the School is heavily oversubscribed and you child will have to be tested again.
My advice would be to accept the place in March this will give you breathing space and if you decide to go down the Independent route please consider releasing your place in good time as there will be children on the waiting list desperate for your sons place. Good luck
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

If you are three miles away from Dr Challoners that means you are near to Buckinghamshire/ Hertfordshire. If I were in your position I should rule out CLSB as the distance is great. Your DS would be very tired and might have less opportunity for extra-curricular after school activities. Habs Boys would give him a similar quality of education without the travelling stress and it is in a wonderful location with lots of outdoor space.

That just leaves two ...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What is it exactly that you think Habs and City would give him that Challoners will not? Many boys in those schools are there because they are either not close enough to a good state or selective school or they did not manage to pass the exam for a State selective. Habs and City have the boys who were bright enough to pass and have parents who have the money to pay for it. Challoners has the boys who were bright enough to pass. If it is important to you for your ds to be among boys who have parents with money then go for private. Otherwise why on earth would you go miles away when you can go to a great school nearby and have local friends. DG
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

We have a DS at Challoner's (Y12) whereas I went to a well-known independent school in the area. I also have 2 nephews who attended arguably the most famous independent school in the country. I can honestly say that I have seen very little difference - DCGS has the look and feel of an independent school and even if money were no object, I would have made the same decision.

The only advantage an independent school might offer is the opportunity for some more esoteric sports - for example the school I went to had its own rowing lake and fencing salon… But such things can always be accessed outside the school gates if required.

I suppose 'networking opportunities' might be greater at the independents, but unless your DS is already certain he wants to be in the City or a politician, I wouldn't be overly concerned about that, it has never done me any good professionally :lol:
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

If you have the means to pay, why worry. Seems like an obvious choice to me.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now