Freedom of Information

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Freedom of Information

Post by patricia »

Interesting.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/foi/request_log/rele" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 05_167.htm

Please note I am not giving away any top secrets, its all readily available on the net, no password or login

Patricia
Skylark

Freedom of Information

Post by Skylark »

Thanks Patricia, that was a good find! Very interesting...I would like to see 'Out of Area' candidate results and Independent School results, but I am sure that's expecting too much!

Our headteacher is relatively new and some parents were commenting that the new heads' emphasis was NOT on the 11+. But comparing our school results with other schools in the vicinity, there is not much in it, at the moment anyway.

Interesting to see the number of kids who opt out of taking the exam altogether, I really agree with this option. The 11+ is not given any real priority in the state school curriculum, it obviously can be a very stressful period in a childs' life and if you are realistic enough to admit your child does not have the academic potential to make the grade then don't go there!!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us, much appreciated.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Very informative, thanks a lot.
Jed

Post by Jed »

Many thanks, Patricia for the link.

The Information is surprisingly detailed, and quite shocking.

What I find most concerning is the number of state schools with NO pupils passing, or less than five. Some of these have quite large year groups. Are we really to believe that there is really no pupil in the whole year with the potential to perform well at secondary? How can Bucks allow this situation to continue?

Likewise, the figures confirm that independents do much better, with more than a third passing, whereas the rate in state schools in more like a fifth.

Looks like we should all be moving to Whitchurch or Gerrards Cross!

I'm feeling quite depressed now and convinced that there must be a better way.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I really agree with you Jed. How can the council keep their 'no preparation' position after having looked at these figures? How can they claim that the 11+ tests measure the child innate intelligence, unless they believe that children from independent schools are naturally more intelligent?

I am not shocked by these figures because they confirm what I have been thinking, but I must say that the council position makes me quite angry!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

By the way Patricia, may I ask how you found this document?
Skylark

Freedom of Information

Post by Skylark »

Sorry, just realised if you scroll down far enough under the state school results it does give out of county and independents results!!

Thanks again

Post by Guest »

Hi
Can't see anything on this link when I go to it ?? :evil:

Can anyone help??>>>>>>>>>>>>>> just seeing to red crosses and no stats.......................

Footymad :roll:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi footymad,

I tried first with my default browser Mozilla, and didn't get anything. Then I tried with Explorer and got it

Catherine

Post by Guest »

Wow - what a hot potato. So Bucks is quite happy that children from independent schools do better at the 11+ than those from state schools. That table says it all for me. I am really upset that the school my son goes to will not practise for the 11+ and refuses to help me prepare him for next year. It is unfair, unfair, unfair. I am disgusted that the council allows this to carry on as I can't afford prep school fees. Why is this happening? I have read that some authorities have changed the test so that children can't be coached through them, maybe it is time for a change in Bucks.