Year 6 taking new style 11+ tomorrow

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Year 6 taking new style 11+ tomorrow

Post by Guest55 »

Not to the LA but probably to the GS ...
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

So what can we learn?

That it's going to be what we think it's going to be - ok.

Kids found it hard - now that is interesting.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

The good aspect of the new test is that it covers all areas of the curriculum. The old test was only VR, therefore, If VR was your weak area you didn't stand a good chance.

I wonder how many children in Bucks pass the new CEM mock test compared to the figure that actually passed the 11+ in October. My guess would be there are going to be less successful 11+ passes next year...

Could be totally wrong, I am just speculating!
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

Is it just one school where this test has been given? Just wondering as only two parents are reporting.
buzzybee wrote:..... the second test sounds as if there were quite a few parts to it, sequences, shapes, verbal and the like. Dd said the second test was much easier than the first. ............
Was verbal like the old VR? i.e. synonyms, antonyms in multiple format? Its interesting because after reading through the
Birmingham forum I didn't think there would be any verbal.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Synonyms and antonyms is the one part of conventional VR which does regularly seem to come up on CEM papers here (Warwickhisre) - although not always. You can forget all about codes, etc though.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

TLC11 wrote: I wonder how many children in Bucks pass the new CEM mock test compared to the figure that actually passed the 11+ in October. My guess would be there are going to be less successful 11+ passes next year...

Could be totally wrong, I am just speculating!
Won't it be standardised to produce the top 25% or whatever the usual figure is? It may mean that the pass mark is lower, but not that fewer will pass, I think.
scary mum
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Yes it will be age standardised - but slightly different to the old system of getting a pass mark on either paper. The new system will give a single age standardised score, with a pass mark of 121. (source)

It's not entirely clear whether it will be standardised against the cohort (as is usual practice for CEM) or standardised against a notional national population. I suspect the former.

Statistically a standardised score of 121 equates to about 9.08% - which seems a little at odds with the numbers Bucks are expecting to select. For 25% it would need to be set at about 110 in a whole population sample, or a bit higher if the standardisation was against the cohort who actually take the test.

To answer another earlier question the trial was supposed to include 1000 Y6 children (source) so presumably not all schools were involved.

I'm not sure if this has been flagged up before but proposed dates are:
:: preparation day: 10 September
:: test day: 12 September
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now