Year 6 taking new style 11+ tomorrow

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

buzzybee

Year 6 taking new style 11+ tomorrow

Post by buzzybee »

Hi all

Daughter has come home from school this afternoon and informed me that her year (6) are taking the new style 11+ tomorrow! All the year are taking part, apart from those that did not sit last year's 11+.

HT told them that it won't be looked at/marked on site and is going off for analysis. They are also looking at the same format for the 12+.

Anyone else doing the test tomorrow?
TLC11

Re: Year 6 taking new style 11+ tomorrow

Post by TLC11 »

My daughter said that reception to year 5 are doing an activity tomorrow morning that does not include year 6, but appears to know nothing about doing a test.

Hmm...
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Quick feedback to say dd did 2 tests today. The first one was audio. It consisted of comprehension/maths etc and the second test sounds as if there were quite a few parts to it, sequences, shapes, verbal and the like. Dd said the second test was much easier than the first.

All parents received a letter from the Head of Admissions regarding the test - it waffled on a bit but basically thanking the children for taking part and sorry the previous 11+ was such a rubbish test (actually the last bit is a lie!).

It's been one of those days............
alana

Post by alana »

DS also did this today. This is about as much as I could get:

He said he found it more difficult than the real 11+ test. However, he said because of that it was fun and that he had to concentrate more. Maths - he said there was a wide variety but that it was quite easy (his favoured subject). NVR - fun (not done this before). Comprehension - challenging vocabulary (he does not read much, but does have a good vocabulary from audio books). CLOZE - time consuming. VR - all I could glean was 'closest meaning' type questions. Some sort of picture sequencing - find the next in the series - he distinguished this from what he referred to as NVR, so not sure what he meant.

All multiple choice with 4 or 5 answers, except for maths where you selected digits to make up your two digit answer. Each section had a certain time to be completed in and you couldn't go back. He had to say whether or not he had had a tutor for the 11+ - he asked if his mum counted - apparently not!

I guess we won't get to know how they did in this, but he was positive. He tends to do better when tests are more challenging.

I hope that is of some help to all you understandably anxious Y5 parents.
khat

Post by khat »

Thanks for this much appreciated. I know it is really hard to get info from kids but if anyone can provide any info in a bit more depth ie what was the topic of the comprehension passage was would be great. From what I have read about other CEM areas this sound familiar to thei formats.
SB888

Post by SB888 »

Thank you alana and buzzybee - every little morsel of information gratefully received!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

alana wrote:He had to say whether or not he had had a tutor for the 11+ - he asked if his mum counted - apparently not!
That's interesting that they're looking at how much tutoring there is, and presumably looking at whether that has any effect on the results from the current tests when compared to this one which hadn't been prepared for.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

And they think Year 6 will be honest? :lol:

Remember we can draw NO conclusions from this trial so it is pointless to ask which piece of writing was used.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

At least they're trying.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I suspect it's more 'going through the motions' like the consultation.