Freedom of Information

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Philidel

Post by Philidel »

I just get a blank page when I click on the link. Has the information been removed? I'm very curious now.

And incidentally not all independent schools coach their pupils. My daughter iatends one & got no help at all beyond the standard 2/3 practice papers that all the children sit
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

After looking at these figures in more details I noticed that about 15 state schools do almost as well as independent schools. Do they break the rules and prepare for the tests?
Other schools have a reasonable pass rate and some do really badly (this includes my son's school). Does it mean that some advise parents to prepare, while others don't?

To last guest,
The situation is quite upsetting but if you coach your son well (yourself or with a tutor), he'll have a good chance. Keep up with this website, and you will probably get all the information you need.

To Philidel,
The page is still there. What is you browser?
Philidel

Post by Philidel »

Catherine

When I use Firefox I just get an email link & a link to the 2000 Freedom of Information link. With Internet Explorer I get those links with 2 boxes (where I presume the text should be, but instead the little red cross thingy that indicates something missing)

Post by Guest »

Yeah i'm on I.E and just get blank squares and red crossed boxes??

Footymad. :twisted:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

My husband says that the page uses an activeX control for an excel spreadsheet and you probably need it installed.

Its possible that you need to have microsoft office installed on your machine to view it...

Post by Guest »

I am on aol and can see it alright. There needs to be a level playing field - if some schools help the children, then they should all help them. Thanks for finding the link - great stuff.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Well that got everyone going.

Unsure why some can view it and others cannot perhaps FORUMADMIN can give some advice.

Catherine, I found this information by 'surfing' the web. I spend 15/20 minutes each weekday evening, just exploring.

Found this particular web page on the Bucks CC website, typed in foi and got a list of all requests from last year. The council have decided that some information can be put into the public domain, including this little gem.

Re some areas having better pass rates, another hot potato, possibly down to more affluent areas, therefore can afford coaching.I fail to see how any child can pass the Bucks 11 plus based on the familiarisation booklet and three practice tests

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

As Catherine stated dont be dismayed at not being able to afford prep fees

Back to the statistical data, independent schools, generally many do coach for it one particular school individually interviews all their year 5 parents to discuss whether they are going forward for 11 plus or common entrance. Depending on the outcome, children are put into separate classes for tutoring.

I am not aware of any state Bucks schools that coach for the 11 plus. in fact its against regulations and very much frowned upon.

Its therefore down to the parents to sort accordingly, do it themselves or buy someone in.

My sorrow goes out to those who cannot afford tutors, hence my 'involvement' with this site - to help.

Patricia
forumadmin
Site Admin

Freedom Of Information link for non-Internet Explorer users

Post by forumadmin »

Patricia,

Thank you for the excellent link.

We note that many of the visitors to this thread are experiencing difficulty viewing the information. We have therefore recreated the BCC data on the following links:

1. Analysis of Year 6 pupils in academic year 2003/2004 taking the 11+ test
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/foi/bu ... UCKS_1.htm

2. Analysis of Year 6 pupils in academic year 2004/2005 taking the 11+ test
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/foi/bu ... UCKS_2.htm

Hopefully everyone can now view the data.

FORUMADMIN

Post by Guest »

Thanks ForunAdmin, and Pat for giving the info!

Can see it all now! Interesting stuff!!

Footymad.(out of area but very fascinating!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now