TUTORS tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

malkbk

TUTORS tests

Post by malkbk »

Patricia, I wonder if I can check something with you?

My son is currently going through THE TUTORS 80 questions 50 minutes tests. He achieved 78/80 on the last one (test eight). I suddenly had a horrible feeling that all the question types might not be on these, and that is why he is doing so well.
Can you clarify?
They still seem easier than the IPS ones we started with.
Also ,where is the best place to find the Susan Daughtry tests you recommend?
many thanks
Barbara
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Malkbk

The Bright Sparks can be found in any good book shop, in addition this site also keeps them in stock.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are 2 sets, 4 papers in each.

Good Luck

Patricia
MelW

Post by MelW »

Hi Patricia

I am a bit confused - we are working through the Bright Sparks tests and I can only count 18 different types. Could you clarify for me?

Thanks

MelW
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Follows a breakdown of the Bright Spark series, using the letter system of IPS, she keeps to 12 types per test, the same as NFER in school practice tests.

She does not follow 21 types over each set of 2

However over each pack of 4 tests she does cover the full compliment of 21 types.

Hopes this clarifies.

TEST 1

J B G E F A H L S O N Z

TEST 2

J A B E F Q U I P R C Z

TEST 3

J M F E D Q B S L K C Z

TEST 4

J G E B D I A S N R L Z

TEST 5

J B H E F A Q N I U K Z

TEST 6

J A G E F P H L S O C Z

TEST 7

A G E B D I F Q L R N Z

TEST 8

J B M E F A U P K O N Z

Patricia
MelW

Post by MelW »

Thanks Patricia,

As long as I know he is covering 21 types with the Bright Sparks. Very confusing that she uses numbers and IPS uses letters to clarify the 'types'. I was getting very confused cross-referencing and now have a headache!

MelW
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Understand re type letters /numbers, IPS were the first to identify each type, I have these letters firmly printed on my brain and its very difficult to 'see' each type in any other way!

How is your son coping with Bright Sparks?

Good Luck with your preparation.

Patricia
MelW

Post by MelW »

Hi Patricia,

Well I had a fairly sleeplessness night last night - his average over the first three Bright Sparks tests is 68%! He answers some questions correctly for every type so it would seem he knows what he is doing - just making 2 or 3 careless mistakes in every type which is going to cost him the exam.

Bizarrely he doesn't like multiple choice either which I find amazing as you only have five options to choose from not an infinite number!

MelW
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Try not to have sleepless nights, easier said than done, I know. You are doing everything possible to help your child.

I will always maintain that there is a dip in scores, when moving from one publisher to another. I see it time and time again.

Personally think its good to change publishers, as it keeps the children on their toes, they can become complacent, getting used to a certain style/content.

Keep up the revision. Is there a particular problem area? At this stage in 'the game' its normally down to that dreaded VOCAB!

Patricia
MelW

Post by MelW »

Hi Patricia

That is helpful to know. After many hours of 'analysis' last night it seems the issue is half vocab and half the 'code' type questions. He is such an articulate child, I find it hard to believe that the vocab used in the tests is 'normal' for a ten year old child to know.

Btw - because we are out of county, Bucks CC sent us the Familiarisation packs that are done in school and he scored 90% on those so am totally confused....

MelW
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

The practice papers sent by County. Test A is easier than the real test. ! and 2 are of the same difficulty.

Keep practising the the codes in between tests, keep reading, playing scrabble, with a dictionary.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... lume-1.php

With regard to codes, many children panic, not because they are hard, they are easy once the rule is learnt, but because they take so much longer to complete. Most sections take no more than 2/3 minutes. The codes can take up to 5/6. I do not believe in the 30 second per question, each type has varying time limits. I say to my children, do NOT panic, just say to yourself, "Its OK, I know these are going to take me a tad longer, that's fine because they are going to give me FULL marks"

Tell him that the publisher knows he is going to take a long time on the codes, but they have taken this into consideration when making up the content of the test. Having their own analogue watch is always useful.

How are you approaching the codes, my children do NOT write the out separately the code on top of the word [ or vice versa] they do NOT write out the sequence eg +1+2+3+4+5

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now