Susan Daughtrey...again..panic

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

June wrote:Lizzy - how did your daughter do in the exam with such a complicated approach from SD? Would you do things differently if you were doing it again? How did SD justify using books that weren't tailored to the exam?
Sadly she didn't pass. I only found out about the difference in the books too late.

Lizzy
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Sally-Anne wrote:Goodness gracious Catherine, I had no idea you could be so underhand!
Really !! :lol: :lol:
Seriously, I am not normally that devious, promise!!
At the time, it was a desperate measure in a desperate situation. But it worked..
Road Runner

Mel X

Post by Road Runner »

Hi June

Look just so as you know I too live in Bucks and my daughter will sit the 11+ next year and I am going to tutor myslef so we will be in the same boat. I admit I have already been through one with my son who passed in 06 but its been 2 years and I am still nervous about the whole thing. My son and daughter are aslo quite different in that my daughter is not as confident and to add to that she is moving to a new primary next week so has the trauma of making new friends, new teachers etc etc. Because of that I won't start tutoring until the new year and I, like so many others will be visiting this site regularly. You will NOT be on your own

When my son did it in 06 I only discovered this site late on in his prep but it was this forum that helped me more then anything. The advice you get is fantastic but the best thing is the general support and encouragement you get from every visitor. Really have a think about self tutoring, talk to your little girl about how she would feel about mum teaching her and if you still feel nervous go and get some NFER papers now, do some questions youself and then let her do some. Once you have done some you may be surprised at how confident you will feel about doing the tutoring yourself. Then you can use this side of Xmas to gain your confidence and knowledge before starting in the new year.

On a final note(goodness don't I waffle) we used NFER papers which seemed the closest to the real thing.

Good luck

Mel X

x
June

Post by June »

Thanks Mel X and everybody else for your advice. I think I'm going to have a go myself. Fingers crossed.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Good for you June - come back for help any time!

Sally-Anne
ZNOTO

Post by ZNOTO »

Mel X your child will be fine with change of school.My child attended twelve schools in all,to my amazement it worked well..She tops her set.Children have a way of adapting .

June you do not need a tutor for your child.Your child is now in year 5.You can DIY the whole process.Personally,I used the Susan Daugherty books for my child but started early.Most of the times ,she studied on her own.Trained her to be very independent from early.
By the end of her Year 4,She had finished all Susan's technique and practice books.I wasn't interested in the format but in the content and that was her focus.Also New First AID English and Answer booklet.Also Dictionary and thesaurus....Her favourite is Cambridge Advanced learners dictionary and Roget's thesaurus.
We are still using Susan books .I bought IPS ,Barbara Walsh and Bond series,Nfer papers and Bright Sparks.Bond series were introduced since her year 3.
I enjoy teaching and teach my children ,not with grammar school as priority but primarily to help them since they go to a community school.The children realised church schools were of higher standards..So since I could not afford private school,I hit the bookshops....on a mission.
Cost two thousand pounds in all but worth it all.Also pay yearly online educational website for my children...all subjects..so it is like homeschooling.The website is used by top private schools from Kindergarten to Year 12.
Believe me,Information is wealth.June,you can do this yourself and save you a lot of money.A high quality tutor costs £45 to £50pounds per hour.
I spoke to a London tutor myself and this was the advice she gave me when my children was still in infant school.
My children tops their set in school and even friends with children in private schools wonder !Obviously,some think the community school must be top grade but I just do my homework well and also listen to the professionals in the Business.
All the very best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now