Raw score CEM vs. Bond

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Raw store CEM vs. Bond

Post by scary mum »

I would call him (or email if you find it easier) and ask the question. While you are at it I would gently explain that his approach, which you are sure is meant to be motivational, is having the opposite effect.
scary mum
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

scary mum wrote:I would call him (or email if you find it easier) and ask the question. While you are at it I would gently explain that his approach, which you are sure is meant to be motivational, is having the opposite effect.
Yes email might be better, I am not know for being very diplomatic. My daughter remember 'forthright' in her vocab list by thinking of me apparently :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Lea's mum wrote: Yes email might be better, I am not know for being very diplomatic. My daughter remember 'forthright' in her vocab list by thinking of me apparently :D
:lol: ... yes, we've had some fun thinking up examples to illustrate the meanings of "forthright" and "tactful"!
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

How has the tutor produced a cem style mock for which he claims you need 80 percent to pass? I would ask him that. Then if he has such a paper ask for a photocopy. Then sell it!
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

The mock were the CEM practice papers you can buy, there is only 1 pack available and they contain 2 sets with 2 papers each.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Papers ... =cem+11%2B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 80% pass rate has been mentioned since we started the tutoring, months and months ago. But obviously our dd worked to get to that level - and she succeeded in all the Bonds and other home papers....until the mock!
The difference is so wide that it was a bit of a shock, for her and for us too! I can take the shock myself, she has worked so hard and I am really proud of her anyway whatever the outcome, but it has really not helped her confidence.
I will be glad when the whole thing is over!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I have found this as well. DS is doing well on the Bond papers but on actual grammar school past papers they are much harder. Carry on doing what you are doing Lea's mum it will be over soon and we can all breathe again, apart from those of us who have to do it all again next year! Aaagh!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh ok - it is just cgp's idea of what a c e m paper could be like. Those papers are not produced by c e m.

Absolute scores will vary from practice paper to practice paper. It would be amazing if they did not. Just don't think about the absolute score. But if the cgp practice paper highlighted some kind of weakness that the other papers you use do not, then that is useful to work on in the remaining time.

I am puzzled as to how and why c g p is allowed to print c e m on this series of books.
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

MamaBear wrote:I have found this as well. DS is doing well on the Bond papers but on actual grammar school past papers they are much harder. Carry on doing what you are doing Lea's mum it will be over soon and we can all breathe again, apart from those of us who have to do it all again next year! Aaagh!!
Thank you for your kind message - poor you, so you will have to go through it again next year? dd already said she might have a go at the 12+ if she doesn't get in, but i don't think my nerves will manage this again.
We are going through endless list of vocab, at least I have learnt a lot :-)
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I can only comment on my experience with Brum CEM exams but here you usually need about 65% or more to get a place - that is a rough figure as it varies according to papers and there is age standardisation too. Saying that, it is extremely difficult to get very high percentages as many children do not manage to complete all the paper and they are tough. At this stage, I would simply advise that they need to do as much as they can but stress that even if they feel they messed up an entire section, they should not panic and give up - just move on and keep going. My DS messed up two of the sections (both times he skipped a double side without realising) - he still passed though. And no, he is not a genius.

I think your tutor is basing his estimate on the marks CGP recommend but neither the tutor nor CGP can know how this will apply in Bucks. I have seen the papers and they seem to be set at an appropriate level - but I am only basing this on feedback about the kinds of questions that have come up in the past here. You could also try a couple of the Indie school papers just to get her out of her comfort zone with Bond papers as practice in dealing with the unfamiliar.

Good luck. At this point encouragement and confidence is needed more than any stark realism that may, or may not, be accurate.
UmSusu
mystery

Post by mystery »

Where can I see the marks c e m recommend to which you refer? Thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now