Moving into Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ajayboy

Moving into Bucks

Post by ajayboy »

Hi

After the excitement of positive results this week , its time to look forward to the thrill of moving ! Planning to move into Bucks from Herts as DD starts in AHS this year. In addition to being within reasonable commutable distance of AHS for DD to travel , I need to consider being close a a good Primary school for DS moving into year 3 and for me to be able to travel into London for work

Will be making a trip into Aylesbury tomorrow to get a feel of the area. Please suggest suitable places to consider buying a property. Any reviews of the new builds area coming up in Buckingham Park and New Berry Vale would be very useful as will be visiting these places to see the availability of new builds.

Many Thanks
Guest55

Re: Moving into Bucks

Post by Guest55 »

Avoid both of those developments - think about the non GS options if your other children don't qualify.

Berryfields is Aylesbury Vale Academy catchment (formerly called Quarrendon) - Buckingham Park primary had a good Ofsted recently but which Upper would you be in catchment for?

Check proposed route of HS2 as that cuts through south Aylesbury.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I agree with Guest55. Having lived in Aylesbury for many years, I would recommend the South side. Elm Farm, Stoke Grange, Wendover Park and Turnfurlong are all nice areas to live, albeit on the more expensive side of town. All are walkable to Stoke Mandeville station in 25-45 minutes, thereby avoiding expensive parking and which is 55 minutes from Marylebone. Primary schools are mixed at the moment according to Ofsted but the devil is in the detail so do read the reports (progress and attainment) and of course the inadequate ones are having to implement rapid improvement. Bedgrove was Outstanding only a few years ago but is now Inadequate. Turnfurlong is also Inadequate. William Harding is doing well I believe and I think Broughton is ok. Catchment Upper is The Grange (inspection imminent) but John Colet in Wendover (Requires Improvement in a very recent inspection) has drawn from South Aylesbury in recent years too.

AHS is very good. My daughter is very happy there.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

You could have a look round princes risborough. On the main line station which is walkable from all areas really, primary schools all ok, upper school ok..ish (all upper schools have dodgy phases in bucks). Ahs is the catchment grammar school for girls, so there is a school bus laid on, although you would have to pay for her seat, plenty of girls and boys catch the bus from ris to aylesbury grammars. Follow the a4010 out of aylesbury southwards and you will find several villages that are all catchment for ahs. A 3 bed semi will start ftom about 280k in risborough itself, maybe not shiny and new, but you would get a decent sized garden with most properties.
Poor town planning has unfortunately allowed many of the new builds to be created with poor facilities around the north of aylesbury, lots of houses but not much else!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

SB3 - 3.55am? :shock: :shock: :shock:
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

southbucks3 wrote:You could have a look round princes risborough.
Be careful though. If HS2 work ever begins, it will make the journey from Risboro' to Aylesbury difficult. That side of Aylesbury will suffer severe road disruption during construction.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is also a threat of a large new housing development in Princes Risborough isn't there?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

anotherdad wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:You could have a look round princes risborough.
Be careful though. If HS2 work ever begins, it will make the journey from Risboro' to Aylesbury difficult. That side of Aylesbury will suffer severe road disruption during construction.

Ugh...forgot about that, will it not cause disruption everywhere round aylesbury way for a while?

Risborough is supposed to be getting new houses, it has for 15 years, when I lived there the farmers were all rubbing their hands in glee.( that had the favoured land. ) This was raised again last week, so I guess it is time-tabled still by those in the know, so maybe the op could investigate that a bit too if they like new developments.

Op Does your daughters friendly cousin, presumably your sibling or sibling in law's daughter live locally to the school, or are they based at a distance?
ajayboy

Post by ajayboy »

Hi

Thanks for your replies , I did not know there were replies as i did not get any notification in my email ! need to remember to tick the option to get notification

Had a look at a few houses in and around Aylesbury did not like them, made a mistake of looking at new house showrooms in Buckingham park first and then the real houses did not look appealing :-) South area looks good but school reports disappointing especially the latest ones. Surprised how an outstanding school can lose it's standing so quickly.

Haven't looked further away yet. Might expand the search but don't want DD to travel long.

I am sure there was a list of schools sending students into Grammar school on this forum, more houses to look at this weekend and watch out for HS2 routes.