Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:14 pm 

Hello Parents,

I wonder how to check the catchment area for grammar school and is it worth writing exam even if we are not in catchment area.Especially I wanted to know about Slough area and Buckingham...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:52 pm 

Essentially, you need to look at the rules of whoever organises the exam, to see whether there are any restrictions on who may take the test (or even apply to), and those for each school you are interested in. This may be the same, where a school organises its own exam and the exam only applies to that one school, or two separate entities, where one organisation sets the exam, the results of which determine eligibility to apply for a GS place, and the individual schools in the consortium (or whatever) then set their own criteria (e.g. distance). I think for Bucks you need to look at the Bucks CC site re whether you can take the exam, and the website of each individual school you are interested in to see how likely it is that you would get a place there, given a pass in the 11+.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm 

Bucks catchment areas are here:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/e ... jh_r9I4SSo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 pm 

Rrao wrote:
Hello Parents,

I wonder how to check the catchment area for grammar school and is it worth writing exam even if we are not in catchment area.Especially I wanted to know about Slough area and Buckingham...

Do you mean Slough and Buckinghamshire? I don't know about Slough, but in Bucks it is definitely worth applying even if you are not in catchment. Burnham Grammar and Chesham Grammar take pupils from quite a long way away. These are the allocation profiles from previous years, so you can see whether your child would have got in in previous years http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:10 am 

While Burnham Grammar does take children from out of area, the school's popularity is reducing the number of those, and especially the distance. A recent article in a Slough newspaper commented that BGS is the grammar school attracts more applications from Slough parents because it takes local children (some of Slough being in catchment) than does any Slough GS. Three of the four Slough grammars take just 30 to 40% pupils from Slough. The same article reported that Upton Grammar (formerly SGS) was taking just 14% of this years Year 7 intake from Slough!