Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:32 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:32 am
Posts: 3
Hi All

I have my DD's 3 Scores and her final STTS - but am still wondering:

How many actual questions were there overall in the 3 Sections ie Verbal, Maths and Non-Verbal?

Knowing that, and the Weightings of 50 / 30 / 20 - I will be able to determine how she did in the 3 Sections.

Does anyone know this detail please?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 1706
Location: Warwickshire
Cantona wrote:
Knowing that, and the Weightings of 50 / 30 / 20 - I will be able to determine how she did in the 3 Sections.
No you won't - the standardised scores don't have a direct linear relationship to the raw scores - they are measures of performance relative to the average. To give an extreme example if the average raw score was 10/80 then a raw score of 10 would be a standardised score of 100, just as if the average was 70/80 then a raw score of 70 would be a standardised score of 100.

What you can do is undo the weightings - double the verbal score, multiply to numerical score by 10/3 and multiply to nonverbal score by 5. Any of those over 100 mean that they did better than average in that section, any below that they did less well than average. For scores between about 70 and 130 you can estimate a percentile (i.e. what approximate percentage of candidates scored less on that element) by subtracting 50 from the score.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 820
Okanagan wrote:
What you can do is undo the weightings - double the verbal score, multiply to numerical score by 10/3 and multiply to nonverbal score by 5. Any of those over 100 mean that they did better than average in that section, any below that they did less well than average. For scores between about 70 and 130 you can estimate a percentile (i.e. what approximate percentage of candidates scored less on that element) by subtracting 50 from the score.


This is brilliant thanks for this - are there any calculations you can do with scores outside these ranges to estimate a percentile?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:32 am
Posts: 3
Thanks Okanagan. Now I understand it.

Purely out of interest then, do we know how many questions there were of each type (V, N and NVR) in total (or per paper even)? :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:07 pm
Posts: 2660
Cantona wrote:
do we know how many questions there were of each type (V, N and NVR) in total (or per paper even)? :?:



We have had parents mention total numbers but even that is difficult to assess. Take a look at the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33708

CEM will change the number of questions per section each year. May have 20 questions on comprehension one year but 25 the next.

Patricia


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016