Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 am 

Congratulations to all the happy parents and sorry for the unhappy parents, I hope you all are successful in your actions you take.

Could anyone please suggest the online sites they used that was very helpful/useful? I am doing DIY and any input is greatly welcome. Preferably the ones that had all 3 (NVR, VR and Maths).

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 pm 

We found books and papers (as recommended in the sticky) more useful than the on-line resources and apps. The exception was freerice.com for vocab - 10 minutes before any other computer time meant he covered an awful lot of words, and he liked seeing the grains mount up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:06 pm 

advertising removed by a moderator

We also bought a bond ten minute math test book and a pack of NVR multiple choice practice papers. Over the summer holidays we did half an hour each day on one thing. In addition carried on with reading to himself and me reading to him every night which we have done always. DS qualified with an exceptional score and we were mightily relieved! :D

My advice is to read widely, talk, encourage your child to ask if they don't know a word, don't start anything "formal" too early. The NVR practice papers were well worth doing as this was something quite alien to him.

The test is very time pressured, even with his high score my ds did not finish every section and they don't need to finish it all to do well.

Be sure your child is able to cope with the level of work expected - talk to their teacher if you are in doubt. Its a shame to put a child through that unless they have a realistic chance of success.

Best of luck :D

you will need nerves of steel and a steady supply of cake and wine..... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:28 am 

Thank you for the very useful information, will slowly feed them on to my DD.