Percentage for pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
avraje

Re: Percentage for pass

Post by avraje »

Thank you southbucks. I meant 90 % of correct answers in the exam to pass btw. Thanks to this thread its clear to me that no one knows. :)

Thanks everyone for your input.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

We have a very rough answer to your initial question, we are just very keen to point out to all readers that the answer is irrelevant, as there are no comparables.
60% of 200 questions in 2013 bucks test cannot be compared to any other test, including future bucks tests. The bucks practice test (for those who have copies), the bexley practice test, and the bucks familiarisation test were all different too. Maybe, like warks and brum, when things settle down in a few years, we will have more of an idea, but cem still make changes annually.
Although it may not seem too hard to achieve a relatively low pass mark, like 60%, it obviously depends on the content....if the entire test consisted of questions based on advanced nuclear physics most kids would be up s**t creek without a paddle, so the pass mark would be very very low, but still unachievable.
avraje

Post by avraje »

southbucks3 wrote:We have a very rough answer to your initial question, we are just very keen to point out to all readers that the answer is irrelevant, as there are no comparables.
60% of 200 questions in 2013 bucks test cannot be compared to any other test, including future bucks tests. The bucks practice test (for those who have copies), the bexley practice test, and the bucks familiarisation test were all different too. Maybe, like warks and brum, when things settle down in a few years, we will have more of an idea, but cem still make changes annually.
Although it may not seem too hard to achieve a relatively low pass mark, like 60%, it obviously depends on the content....if the entire test consisted of questions based on advanced nuclear physics most kids would be up s**t creek without a paddle, so the pass mark would be very very low, but still unachievable.
Will that be a good exam model, if even 60% is not achievable?

Ok if 60% not possible, in that case lets say 50% is the best possible score (I know one can argue that even that may be not) but will the 10 year olds (all/most of them) not be de-motivated and disheartened that it was too hard for them by the end of test 1 and they still have test 2 to go to?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Yes...again...read bucks threads post testing, bearing in mind that most kids sit the test as a matter of course, regardless of academic ability, as it is opt out, and parents rarely do. So a real barrel of laughs for an average level 4 sats kid!

but I doubt they will make it any more difficult than this years, but we won't know until our dc sit next years.

To pass was possible..obviously as many did and got very good much higher scores too, but it did seem to narrow the ability range somewhat more than top 30% of an average primary school cohort.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Yes, I agree with Southbucks3. The feedback from parents after this year's test showed many children were upset with the difficulty of the test - particularly the time pressure.

I would recommend that part of any preparation is to make sure your child really, truly understands this and is able to work their hardest, expect to not finish lots of each section, maybe even finding some sections really horrible, and yet still be able to move confidently on when the next section starts time and time again. They should know that they can pass even when the test is like this. At the same time it's healthier for the children to know they will be happy and go to a school they like if they don't qualify, and that taking the test is just to see if there are more options for schools to chose from.

Having a good plan for not qualifying is essential and means you and your child are not caught out. It's devastating for children otherwise if it doesn't go well.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Great advice from sanna.

My son came out of school grinning, but at the same time saying it was impossible! I know many who did not pass that came out of school very upset that day, they had been placed under too much pressure by parents not keeping the options neutral. Obviously I am not perfect, but like to think I did something right, because he had kept going, and did not dwell on his inability to finish etc, and was far more interested in what was for pudding, than the test. :D He is now happy to be going to upper school, although obviously a bit sad he won't be joining his bruv at gs.

My year 5 ds is being trained that the test is just to show us what he can do, and has no bearing on his education at all.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Feedback from Headteachers has, I understand, indicated that the 'right' children qualified with fewer surprises this year. There were, of course, some shocks but fewer than with the previous test.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Totally,agree, in fact I have said so myself on previous posts, most of the 1:1 kids passed that I have heard of, just not enough of the 2:1's and 2:2's .
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

I think my DS's school bucked the trend with far more than in previous years passing (17/61). Still not 30%. I'm very glad because it's a normal Bucks State school with a belief that the school should do nothing even tangential for the transfer test as they think only the ones who can succeed at Grammar School should go there. Rumour has it that the "right" kids qualified, but it wasn't predictable for borderline kids (as you would expect) with some surprises qualifying and other possibles not.

I would love to think that the test has levelled the playing field and given normal state school children more opportunity to qualify but it could just be a random result. Other local state schools who've had better results in previous years did worse this year if the grapevine is accurate.
lioness

Post by lioness »

I just felt compelled to write this. Contrary to popular belief kids from independent schools don't have it any easier. At my DS school 3/17 passed. In previous years similar numbers have passed. The school like any other school within the area is not permitted to 'coach' kids for the 11+.

It's nothing personal against you Sanna but I felt I had to say something. My DS worked his socks off during the summer with me at home. I refused to pay for a tutor as a matter of principle. Bottom line any child that took the test is to be commended. From my experience the playing field has always been level.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now