Walsh

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Some tutors charge high enough fees not to look generous anyway..
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Oh don't worry we have been told the books are built into the fees !!!!! :shock:
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Suesole wrote:Hi My son has been given these for his homework this week from his tutor. Knowing they are harder than the test is useful. I won't stress too much if his scores are not great.
Thanks Sue.
let us know how he finds them in comparison
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Duffymoon

We are really struggling with these. Highest mark so far is 76% but mainly 40's out of 80 questions. The vocab is hard for this age group. How many papers do you do in a week out of interest ? We are completing the whole 3 books this week as homework from our tutor. So 2 tests a night. We are up to paper 6. We did a few over the weekend. My son has been getting the same sort of scores as your chilld these have been really knocked this week :cry:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sue

I truly believe 2 tests a night, after a day at school is absolutely ridiculous. What is your tutor doing?

Testing in this manner will make a dramatic impact to her scores on each test, she will not be able to concentrate to the best of her ability. This will not help confidence levels.

Patricia
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Patricia - I have sent you a PM to discuss this.. Sue

Post by Guest »

Suesole wrote:Hi Duffymoon

We are really struggling with these. Highest mark so far is 76% but mainly 40's out of 80 questions. The vocab is hard for this age group. How many papers do you do in a week out of interest ? We are completing the whole 3 books this week as homework from our tutor. So 2 tests a night. We are up to paper 6. We did a few over the weekend. My son has been getting the same sort of scores as your chilld these have been really knocked this week :cry:
Hi Suesole

I wouldn't get too disheartened by the scores in Walsh. From reading several posts the general consensus of opinion is that the Walsh papers are some, if not the hardest ones out there. But I think that doing 2 of these per night perhaps isn't helping matters and may be having a negative effect.

We try to get our son to do a paper every 2 to 3 days. He's not always in the right frame of mind for it so we've learnt to ease off and let it go as we don't want him to get upset and feel too pressured. Our main push now is going to get him to try and digest some vocabulary as thats his main weakness.

Good luck !
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

that was my reply above. must remember to check that I'm logged in. Doh !
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi Duffymoon. We have been doing one per night and it looks like the vocab is the problem. Our highest score has been 78% but mainly 60 - 70 %. These are quite tough. We are going to do Daughtrey bright sparks and NFER see if these are any better. Other posts on here seem to think these are closer to the exam and at this stage, with Bucks being 2 weeks away, this seems more relivant and approprate. Let me know how you are getting on and what other books you are using. Sue.
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Hi Sue

We are also going to get our son to do some of the NFER and Susan Daughtrey papers again and see how he fairs.

He did his 2nd test paper yesterday. Unfortunately he ran out of time with 5 questions left so he quickly put down guesses at the end. This is the first time in a long time that he has had a timing issue, so we will have to keep an eye on this when he does some more papers at home, but our main emphasis over the next 2 weeks has got to be on vocab with about 3 papers a week.

Over the past few months as well as Walsh 1-8 and Daughtery we have also used IPS, AFN and Richard Parsons.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now