Independent Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gr_sh_nimo

Independent Schools

Post by gr_sh_nimo »

Hello,

Could you PM me some names of good independent schools (this is for primary education) in Bucks ?
Guest55

Re: Independent Schools

Post by Guest55 »

There are very few as the Primary schools in Bucks are good.

It might be helpful to give an idea of location as you need to factor in travel time.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

And also whether you want boys, girls or mixed…
gr_sh_nimo

Post by gr_sh_nimo »

Boys or Mixed :D , and we are flexible on travelling. We live in Newcastle an planning to relocate...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Personally I don't think there are any I'd recommend. Choose a good Primary school and save your money.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hello,

I have pm'd you.

Obviously it depends on your location, and in particular if you are looking to move to the bcc area as traffic is bad round here, and school busses only pick up from certain places, and long journeys are a big no no for little children. Your location in turn depends upon the amount of money you want/ have to spend on a house.

There are great primary schools available, and like any area some that struggle for a variety of reasons, but mid year transfers can be tricky. There are also some great indies imo, but also a few dodgy ones in the south bucks area, as there are many people happy to part with their readily available cash.

Your circumstances are obviously personal to you, but although schooling is important I would suggest sorting out work commute first, as previously mentioned the traffic is horrendous, and railway station parking can be expensive. Grumpy working parents who arrive home after sitting in hour + long traffic queues, maybe after bed time, are not advantageous to any aspect of a child's life, even with private schooling.

Good luck with your move.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

I liked Davenies when I looked around 6 yrs ago, but school of choice for many is The Beacon. Never looked myself, but hear excellent reports. As mentioned Bucks primary schools are good so not that much choice inde wise.
Oxfordshire has more inde schools worth looking at. The Dragon, Christchurch CS, New College, Magdalen College school, Abingon Prep and Summerfields.
YM
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Davenies get a bit sniffy about boys leaving before 13 (obviously they can't stop it, but they are geared to common entrance, not 11plus). I know people who have been pleased with Dair House & of course there's Caldecott.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scary mum wrote:Davenies get a bit sniffy about boys leaving before 13 (obviously they can't stop it, but they are geared to common entrance, not 11plus). .
that happens with a fair few preps - most have plenty leaving at 11, school wants to keep them as likely they would do well at CE! Just have to do whatever is right for DC and - at least being able to stay until 13 can leave another option, have known some kids leaving one private school at 11 and then moving to another until 13 when the year 6 exams didn't work out
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All these Private schools are near outstanding Primary schools so I really don't know why people send their children to them.