sharing school run from Bracknell/Maidenhead to RGS and back

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tim101032

sharing school run from Bracknell/Maidenhead to RGS and back

Post by tim101032 »

Our son passed the 11+ for Bucks and following a tour of the school and recommendations from friends who have children at RGS we selected them on the CAF form as one of our choices.

We are however currently based in Bracknell and have two other children at two other schools (in Bracknell) who requiring dropping off and picking up so it would be difficult to consider moving house into the catchment area.

As it is improbable given the distance from Bracknell to High Wycombe (15 miles as the crow flies) that we will get into RGS we are pondering an appeal. If an appeal was successful I could then drop my son off at school on the way to work.

Would anyone be in similar circumstances, living close to Bracknell or perhaps Maidenhead who is already dropping off at the school with say older children who might be available to take it in turn to drop/pick up the kids to/from school come September 2014.
southbucks3

Re: sharing school run from Bracknell/Maidenhead to RGS and

Post by southbucks3 »

You will also have to co-ordinate before and after school team sports. Rugby, rowing, hockey, cricket, etc all have training either early morning or after school. You will also have to drive to school Saturday mornings for rugby.
Unless your child decides not to participate in any sports at all that is?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please consider the terrible journey e.g. when the M40 is closed and Handy Cross grinds to a halt. I believe they are re-modelling High Wycombe too so it can only get worse ...
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Eek! That journey is terrible, frequently long queues to handy cross and Marlow hill. You need to try this at peak time during term time. It's grid lock.
My DS does a long journey from our home, but there is a bus a ten min drive from our home that takes him. I had to drive him in for a while and it took its toll, two hours there and back twice a day. Too much driving. If there isn't a frequent, reliable bus I wouldn't consider it.
As someone else mentioned lift shares rarely work out because of before or after school commitments.