Is 80 % Good enough ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
redapple

Is 80 % Good enough ?

Post by redapple »

Dear All
I have just found this very helpful site. I too am a worried mum my 10yrs old is due to do his test in the next couple of weeks. I see from some of your comments your children are hitting 90 % pass mark in practice we manage around 80-84 % his tutor says this is a pass. Should I worry more or chill?
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

I don't think anyone can say. Anecdotally my son last year reliably hit 85-86% in all his practices. He scored 126 and 127 in the real tests. But he is August born. When is your son's birthday?
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Take a look at this page for information on scores

click here
jayne

standardization

Post by jayne »

Do Bucks standardize according to the ability of the cohort taking the exam or just on age alone?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear RedApple and Duffymoon

The very rough pass mark for Bucks is 86% [I prefer my children to be scoring 90%]

I would not unduly worry, you have a couple more weeks to iron out problem areas. Is your child weaker on a particular type.

With regard to the standardisation tables, we have to take note that Bucks do NOT use an average of 100, its currently 111.

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks 11+ is standardised on 110 [mean] and standard deviation calculated from the childrens scores. You need to aim to get 70+/80 to be reasonably safe.
The number achieving qualifying [121+] is always 30% or so of those sittting the paper -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:Bucks 11+ is standardised on 110 [mean] and standard deviation calculated from the childrens scores.
Now class, I know you all understand that fully ...

:lol: :lol:

Sally-Anne
(Who spent 3 months doing a project using Standard Deviation and still hasn't got a clue what it's about!)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

OK, OK ... I know I didn't explain - but the table linked above has mean 100 and sd 15 so it will not help you understand how Bucks score is worked out!
Standard deviation measures the average amount that pupils scores differ from 110 -

OK perhaps you're still no better off ...
:lol:
willow

pass mark!

Post by willow »

I too would like to have some idea of what the pass mark is, my daughter has done a few practice papers and averagely scores between 70-73/80. She is an October birthday, any ideas what sort of score we should be aiming for? How much of a difference does it make to the standardized score out of 141. Also, when I go through the papers with her she is loosing marks through "silly" mistakes such as with word questions not checking all options before making choice of answer and marking wrong answer on answer sheet. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards to all.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest55

The current average for standardisation is 111.

Dear Willow

Your daughter is scoring well, I wouldn't worry too much on that front.

Careless mistakes, we are all entitled to the odd mistake, it only becomes a problem when too many are made. Is your daughter rushing the test, does she have time at the end to check over certain types of questions?

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now