Draft Admissions Policies 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GU47Dad

Re: Draft Admissions Policies 2015

Post by GU47Dad »

Reading Schools (Kendrick included) state that children taking CEM exams elsewhere will not be advantaged as the first test the child takes (raw score) l will be the one that is used to allocate places , so no more multiple exam entries across numerous areas
. :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

GU47Dad wrote:Reading Schools (Kendrick included) state that children taking CEM exams elsewhere will not be advantaged as the first test the child takes (raw score) l will be the one that is used to allocate places , so no more multiple exam entries across numerous areas
Does this mean that if a child has already taken a CEM exam they only have to be entered for the 11+ in Reading, not actually turn up and sit it, as presumably Reading / Kendrick will ask CEM to cross-reference their entrants with those for other areas?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I think there may be a little ambiguity between "same tests" and cem tests.
Reading may be sharing the exact test with Kendrick and slough consortium, on the exact same day sitting. So anyone who sits in slough, then asks for a late test at reading, will only have their first score considered, even if they slip through the net initially.

The bucks cem test will in all probability, be slightly different both in format and content and is produced on a seperate contract for bucks grammar academies and LA. The two areas will be unlikely to co-ordinate their plans for the time being anyway.
Tearing Hair Out Mum

Post by Tearing Hair Out Mum »

Looks like Berkshire is 13 Sept according to the Kendrick site, great that they have been told and Berkshire consortium not posted anything to local schools
yet :( any news on bucks dates yet ?
Tearing Hair Out Mum
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

GU47Dad wrote:Reading Schools (Kendrick included) state that children taking CEM exams elsewhere will not be advantaged as the first test the child takes (raw score) l will be the one that is used to allocate places , so no more multiple exam entries across numerous areas
ah but Kendrick have so far only stipulated you may just sit one of Reading Boys/Kendrick/Slough test not any of the other CEM tests in the country :)

We'll seek further clarification come February when they've consulted and decide which way they want to go.
ISE -DIY

Post by ISE -DIY »

I just read briefly about admission policy, I live in Dunstable, Bedforshire, is there any restriction to apply for BUCKS grammar school?

DIY mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ISE -DIY wrote:I just read briefly about admission policy, I live in Dunstable, Bedforshire, is there any restriction to apply for BUCKS grammar school?
Not if you are considering the Aylesbury Schools. Places are essentially allocated on distance (once various small priority groups have been taken into account.)

The Aylesbury High School website has some very helpful maps that show you the home location of girls attending the school, and also bus routes (LA and public) serving the school. http://www.ahsonline.co.uk/Admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ISE -DIY

Post by ISE -DIY »

Thank you Sally-Anne.
We are targeting in Aylesbury area.
DIY Mum
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Dear Sally-Anne and other members
I am ardmore working myself at home with my daughter. I am far off from Buckingham shire - but like my daughter to take the exam for experience so that she can boost her confidence in the exam in our own area ( Surrey). I will appreciate if you kindly let me know the relevant website or thread that clearly describes the procedure. I looked at Dr Challoner's high school for girls admission policy- it was not clear to me who should I apply for sitting the exam. Many thanks in advance.

sincerely yours
Ardmore
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dear ardmore
ardmore wrote:I am far off from Buckingham shire - but like my daughter to take the exam for experience so that she can boost her confidence in the exam in our own area ( Surrey).
Two issues arise with this idea.

Firstly, the Bucks test is set by Durham CEM, and none of the Kingston/Sutton grammars are known to be using the CEM test. The 5 Sutton grammars (boys & girls) have a common Stage 1 'Selective Eligibility' test. It is a multiple choice test and officially we don't know about its provider, but it is generally believed to be similar to GL tests.

The Tiffin schools use a GL Assessment NVR/VR test. Tiffin Girls also have literacy and numeracy tests which are written by the school itself.

Why would you want your daughter to sit a completely irrelevant entrance test "for experience"?

Secondly, while no one can prevent you from entering your daughter for the Bucks test as practice, I think you should understand the consequences of doing so for other children.

In many areas, places are allocated in descending order of score until all available GS places are filled. If your daughter qualifies in Scoresshire, but you do not put a Scoresshire school on your CAF, or put it on your CAF and then turn it down for a place at Tiffin/whichever school, it will not impact on local children. The next child on the score list will be offered the place.

That is not the case in Bucks.

In Bucks, the test has a fixed qualifying score of 121 and it is designed to select the top 30% of children each year. If your daughter takes the test and qualifies as one of the 30% who are deemed to be "of selective ability", but you have no intention of listing a Bucks school on your CAF, there is no immediate way for that place to be reallocated to a Bucks child.

The place will remain vacant and the Bucks child will go to one of our Upper Schools instead of a Grammar School. Only if the child's parents succeed in overturning non-qualification via a Review or Appeal will the Bucks child once again be considered for a GS place.

While that may not be your problem, there are plenty of commercially available mock tests such as those advertised here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... mock-exams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which will give your daughter more relevant test experience without potentially displacing another child in the Bucks 11+ system.

I hope you will consider very carefully what I have written. If you choose to go ahead despite that, your application for testing should be directed to the Bucks CC Admissions Department. They will open for business for this year's round of tests at some point in May and the relevant information will be posted on their website.

Sally-Anne