Best Place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I agree with you Dad40 - 4 bed detached houses where we are - not the poshest part of Bucks by any means - frequently go for £650,000.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think if that is the budget its got to be Aylesbury .... choice of 2 Grammars ... if you choose somewhere in the Waddesdon catchment you have a good Upper [outperforms most Comprehensives]
Dad40

Re: Wycombe

Post by Dad40 »

jayne wrote:What is wrong with Wycombe?!!!!
Well it's cheaper. If I were recommending, I'd pick Brands Hill Avenue or one or two streets around Loudwater.....but still don't know if they fall within the £400K budget.

Aylesbury is possible - I didn't choose it because it is a longer and more expensive commute (although you are more likely to get a train seat).

Also, is there much private schooling around Aylesbury?
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I've been doing a bit of digging on this.

It seems I was wrong and you CAN get £400K 4-bed houses in various areas. There is a new and very attractive looking double-garaged detached 4 bed in Aylesbury's Watermead for £425K and another very attractive one in Downley for £390K.

In my area, you can get one from about £360K in Hazlemere or from about £420K in Holmer Green. The properties in that bracket are generally 30-50 years old, semi's and detached.

Why Holmer Green ? [You may have gathered I have an interest here :wink: ]

Boys can get into: the Royal Grammar School, John Hampden Grammar, Chesham High and sometimes Challoners Grammar. There is a bus route through the village which can take kids to these schools.

If they don't pass - and never forget that the majority do not pass - they can easily get into Holmer Green Senior, Misbourne, Amersham or William Ramsay's. Misbourne has always been a very strong upper school (on a par with Chalfonts) and is therefore probably the best of these four. However Holmer Green's GCSE results this year are rumoured to have beaten both The Misbourne and Chalfonts.

There are at least 5 primary schools you can get into including the Holmer Green schools (Infant/Junior), Little Kingshill, Great Kingshill, Widmer End, Curzon (Penn Street) and several others. All are good but check availability first.

If you want to go private, there are 9 prep schools within 7 miles of the village. If my maths is correct, 5 of these take boys aged 8. Some friends use The Gateway in Great Missenden (3 miles away) and are very happy with it.

For secondary private, there is a Claires Court coach (Maidenhead) that runs right through the village.

Suggest looking at all of Holmer Green, all of Great Kingshill and the part of Hazlemere around Cedar Avenue/Western & Eastern Dene (known locally as Cosy Corner). Check out the Wikipedia entries for these places.

There are people who work in London here, from shop workers through to city bankers (and of course our local celeb Fern Britton). They tend to take trains from Amersham - 20 mins to get there/parked/buy a coffee and then 40 mins into Marylebone.

Gulp. I've found a new vocation as an estate agent !
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

some sound advice there from Dad40. you may also want to add Widmer End and Prestwood to your list.

Post by Guest »

ditto to dad40

When we were thinking of moving we came to near identical conclusions.

Jayne, most of High Wycombe is difficult, although there are some good value areas house wise these correspond with very poor primary schools.
Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Wooburn Green/ parts of Flackwell Heath and Bournend are all lovely villages and there are three very good primary schools, St.Paul's, Juniper and Carringtons. They are also in catchment for JHG,RGS Beaconsfield High and Wycombe high
jayne

Primary schools

Post by jayne »

I have heard that Hamilton Primary gets very good 11+/KS2 SATs results and that is in the centre of High Wycombe.

Any comments?
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Jayne,

Yes I believe that's true about Hamiltons.

The problem comes at secondary stage. I personally wouldn't send my kids to the upper schools in "Wycombe proper".

But if you live on the Amersham Hill side of High Wycombe, then Holmer Green and Ramsays tend to be accessible to you. I personally wouldn't send my kids to Ramsays, but it has to be said that many others disagree with me and think it draws the best out of kids.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now