Bucks Selection Review number crunching

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crecheout

Re: Bucks Selection Review number crunching

Post by crecheout »

Thank you.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Question about the 3 SAT Level 5s mentioned here - are they Maths, Reading and Writing or SPAG ?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Spag is part of the writing test paper now.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

I thought writing is TA and the SATS report SPAG, Reading and Maths levels.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Correct spelling, punctuation and grammar will be in a standard test format, whilst writing will be teacher assessed over year 6, but it is still an important part of the process, for both school and child:
Replacing the writing test given previously, your child’s teacher will assess their writing composition, so your child’s result for English writing will be a judgement of their work across year 6. Your child's grammar, punctuation and spelling skills will be assessed as part of their writing, but their creativity and writing style will also be evaluated.
Children’s progress, as well as their achievement, will be measured and reported on in school performance tables.
Teacher assessments will be passed on to secondary schools so they can be used in planning for year 7 teaching.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

I have been told the NFER scores were key for children whose 11+ score was not close to 121

NFER scores in Y5 had to be substantially higher than 121 for child to have evidence that they will thrive in GS.

Since DC has never been able to do the old style tests I am really cross - if I had known how important this would be in deciding suitability for GS then I could have addressed it in Review doc.

In my case DC was working at L5 at the end of Y5 so they couldn't try to knock that down.

We didn't claim extenuating circumstances as none existed - just a bad day at work (we didn't actually phrase it like that!)

Therefore I am told the next thing looked at were last year's NFER scores and that would have given them enough to turn us down without going any further.

As I have said before we have no annotations on our clerk's record to tell us what was discussed.

Rang admissions who told me to request a transcript of the review panel using the admissions e-mail address - i was surprised they said this as SallyAnne has been adament that nothing more is available.

Three days later I did receive a very nice e-mail that said

"There is nothing further we can provide to you in terms of information from the panel meeting: the clerks form that was provided with your letter is the official record of what was discussed in the Review meeting and indeed was written during the meeting itself. We do not record transcripts of panel meetings"

So it indicates nothing was discussed!!!

What I am truely cross about is we will need to go before an IAP to overturn poor performance in Y5 in a test that was not suited to DCs abilities and unexpectedly poor performance in a curriculum based test that DC should have sailed through with their peer group.

Living in Bucks is not for the faint hearted!
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Correct spelling, punctuation and grammar will be in a standard test format, whilst writing will be teacher assessed over year 6, but it is still an important part of the process, for both school and child:
Please can I just ask based on the above if you go to appeal do we have to give SATs grades for Writing which is SPAG plus teacher assessment or just the SPAG paper, what actually counts as the final SAT grade :?

Thanks
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

In Bucks I think I remember that the review form asks for national curriculum levels for maths reading and writing only. At the appeal I also gave details of working at curriculum levels in science.

There are SATs tests for reading, maths and SPAG but science and writing are teacher assessed.

I gave the panel results from the latest mock tests plus working at national curriculum levels for reading, maths, writing and science with predicted year end levels too. We don't get working at levels for SPAG given by the school here.

I don't think that you get a combined SAT score for "English" just test scores for reading and SPAG and teacher assessed scores for writing.

Certainly that's my understanding but am happy to be corrected by wiser minds. What evidence you give to the appeal is up to you but obviously anything favourable should be submitted and I would be worried that not giving evidence in relation to writing might be questioned though I am not sure of that

PR
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Thanks PR, appreciate your guidance :D
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

My friend was unaware of the 14 day period for requesting a Selection Review (SR).
As there was half term holidays last week - please let me know whether he has time till this Friday to apply for a SR for his daughter. Thanks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now