Bucks Selection Review number crunching

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ccl

Re: Bucks Selection Review number crunching

Post by ccl »

I honestly find it a bit scary what a big impact the ht has.

Personally, I am aware of 2 cases from my eldest ds primary class back in "the old system" a few years back.

1) The boy scored 120. He had very good sats results (eg at the end of y6 got the highest reading comp score ie strong level 6). The mum not "pushy" or cake sale or summer fair organiser. Just quiet. She was given a very brief support letter from ht. She thought it would be enough since she had never gone through the appeal (review) process before and since her son scored 120. They failed.

2) The boy scored less than 115 - not sure exact mark, but nowhere close to 120. The mum had been very involved with pta etc. Not the quiet type. She got a fab support letter despite the son being far below average in the class! The school supported the mum in the claim that he had problem w his braces during the exam. One big lie, since his teacher had told him to remove them during the exam, so they wouldn't bother him. My son sat next to him, so he knew. They succeeded in their appeal(review) and the boy is struggling at gs.
ccl

Post by ccl »

Forgot to say in my post above, that, judging from the little experience I've had, I would welcome that they scrapped the whole review/appeal process and let all kids who had say above 110 be allowed to sit a new test at an independent location (not their school). Might actually cost less and make the process fairer.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

berks_mum wrote:What is a 2:2, 2:1, 1:2, 1:1 recommendation ?
In Bucks the head teachers are asked to provide info about the children regarding potential and attitude to work:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The heads have absolutely no reason to be over generous, in fact they err on the side of caution, because if they give out twenty 1:1 scores and only three children pass, it would make all of their recommendations look highly dubious.

Every child in our school that got 1:1 passed, the 2:1 and 2:2 were not as cut and dry, which is a pattern replicated across schools local to us.

The head teacher would also need to clarify any reason for changes from a 3:3 or below to a statement of complete support accompanying a review application.

This system of stating recommendation prior to test results essentially helps prevent the head from being pressured by desperate parents or pa tigers/parent governors after their child has missed the mark, and also prevents over zealous heads trying to win as many reviews as possible.
ccl

Post by ccl »

In the cases I mentioned above the pta lady's son was probably given a 2:2 (or even 1:2 or 2:1) . (prob unfair but would not have raised suspicions).

The clear 1:1 cases are always safe (will pass most likely and any ht would know where to place them, therefore the school will have managed in terms of predicting the clear cases). It's the rest of the kids who may or may not end up in the right square. As long as they don't have 3's or 4's the review panel will not raise any eye brows.
Also, kids predicted with mixed 2's and 1's may or may not pass which the review panel accepts. No school will be told off for giving too many 2:2 (or even 1:2 or 2:1), I assume, as long as a couple of kids get 3's and 4's.

For me as a student (in a different country), only grades were considered for even uni entrance. Interviews or ht support did not occur.
Regaring entering different secondary school programmes, the choice was the student's. If you wanted to try the toughest maths, physics programme with loads of hw (similar to gs), it was fine, but give it a term or two and those not suited would have changed to a different programme. So, everyone had the same chance and noone would miss out due to ht's lack of support. Everyone was welcome, but not everyone would be happy to stay.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

No school will be told off for giving too many 2:2 (or even 1:2 or 2:1),
They won't get told off, but it would completely negate any worth if they gave out ten 2:1 marks and only 2 passed, and would therefore also render any letter of support useless.

The information is printed off for the review panel to see for a reason, I am sure they do not ignore it.

I am also sure the majority of primary heads and teachers are level thinking and incorruptible, they do not want to help send children to a school they will struggle at. The few that do play games quickly get a reputation amongst secondary school teaching staff, as they are the people that have to deal with the floundering children.
crecheout

Post by crecheout »

Hello all, I am also extremely confused by the whole review system.
DS had a shock low score , just over 100 when all indications out him passing with a reasonably comfortable margin. Strong head teacher support and. 2:2 score.
We got a tick in the three level 5s box.
Then a tick in the box the panel are not convinced on the basis of the KS2 progress to date that the expected outcomes can be achieved? How does that work then?
Other comments - nfer reports did not suggest a grammar school profile.
I agree that they are variable but if the school did not offer these how would they know, for example if we had been in a school that did not offer nfer testing.
We gave evidence of an underlying ENT infection, the doctors letter we submitted stated very clearly that he believed that the underlying condition would have seriously affected his performance. Is there medical expertise on the panel?
In the decision part at the end it said ENT infection insignificant, crossed out then insufficient evidence that would significantly have affected the score.
Then at very end, ticked both of the above, ie not significant evidence of illness and not demonstrated academic ability as reasons to refuse review.
Sorry this has been such a ramble.
Any ideas from anyone if I should try to take this further or if I should just accept it and get on with my life free from 11 plus dramas?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

hermanmunster wrote:
berks_mum wrote:What is a 2:2, 2:1, 1:2, 1:1 recommendation ?
In Bucks the head teachers are asked to provide info about the children regarding potential and attitude to work:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks hermanmunster.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Crecheout,
Maybe request your post be moved to appeals where Etienne or SA can advise if you do wish to appeal. I thought they were quite strict about declaring illness on the day of the test, and then testing late, but the appeal team will know much better.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

southbucks3 wrote:Crecheout,
Maybe request your post be moved to appeals where Etienne or SA can advise if you do wish to appeal. I thought they were quite strict about declaring illness on the day of the test, and then testing late, but the appeal team will know much better.
Agreed - I have reposted crecheout post in a new thread in appeals. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=36075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now