Question for Patricia (and others?) about 12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
parent

Post by parent »

Jed wrote:Don't be too hard on the "parent". He/she has actually been through the experience of putting his/her child into a grammar at 12 and it obviously wasn't a happy experience. It's good to know others have had better experiences.

Jed
Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions and I have no worries about responses from others!

Despite finding it hard to settle in at first after the 12+ my child did well at Grammar school and did make new friends (it was just that the old friends had formed new groups). I'm not saying it was an unhappy time, just more of a struggle than we expected and in hindsight my child would possibly have been better left at Upper school without all the disruption.

Only 'you' know your child and how she would feel having to go through this process again, with all the practicing and the possible 'failure' tag yet again. If you think she (and indeed you) are able to cope with all this again come September (because I think the 12+ is taken the following January although no doubt someone will correct me here!) and you truly believe she would be better suited to a Grammar School education, then of course you should go for it again - full throttle, so to speak. Patricia will no doubt advise you which books you should be using for this practice. The 11+ is made up of 80% english and 20% maths questions and I don't know if this is the same with the 12+? My child took a late entry exam (12+) which involved english/maths/science and was completely different to having to pass the verbal reasoning test yet again - a test which is not best suited to all abilities especially if your strength is maths for instance.

This is obviously continuing to be a stressful time for you Jed, but taking on board what others say and your own gut feelings, you will make the right choice for your daughter and once again I would say, as long as your child is 'happy' at school, that's all that matters and an able child will achieve equally well at Upper or Grammar school. Good Luck.

p.s. Patricia, I know of 3 children who have struggled at Grammar Schools and moved to Upper School due to not being able to cope with the pressure of the workload. They were much happier at Upper School and achieved high marks in their final exams. Perhaps we're from a different era!
yorkieboy

Post by yorkieboy »

Parent/Jed,
Apologies if I came accross that way.

The problem is we here in Bucks are all part of the system persued by Bucks and some others, on our behalf ie. We chose to have a Grammar School system (or we moved into the area have it as an option), and so have to play by the rules of selection which give us two choices :

tuition =Grammar.
no tuition=no Grammar.

Like it or not these are the rules. Now without getting political, Bucks CC policy as I see it, is that of deliberately not giving schools the option adequately preparing all children at primary level for 11+.
The stats for this speak for themselves and although I've no immediate experience of them, prep schools do brilliantly at 11+. I suppose after all that is their prime reason to exist.

Post by Guest »

My child got into a Bucks grammar with no particular preparation. Prep schools prep. That is why they are called Prep schools. They prep for the common entrance exams.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Parent

Can I assume your child is at the Royal Grammar or Beaconsfield High, these are the only schools that use Maths/ English /Science etc as the basis for the late transfer entry into 8 and 9, all other grammars use the verbal reasoning tests.

Unless its entry into year 10/11 then each grammar will hold their own curriculum based tests.

Part of me thinks the 11 plus may be better/fairer if it was curriculum based, but then that is another subject!!

What era are you talking about?

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Patricia

Moving to the Bucks forum as requested! (Forgot which part of the forum I was in when I posted under VR).

Could you remind me which IPS book I should start with for 12+ to identify the problem question types for my son? (I chucked out all the 11+ books we used after the coaching was finished as we were sick of the sight of them.) I have printed out your post elsewhere on all the recommended materials, but I'm unsure what the best starting point is.

I want to be very focussed on the coaching, as he only had problems with a few types. I don't think he will tolerate much coaching this time round, especially as he knows that there is no guarantee of a place even if he passes, and the place probably wouldn't be at his preferred grammar.

Many thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

hi anyone here of 12 plus dates yet
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally-Anne

For Techniques, IPS method and technique

For practice questions, IPS additional questions

What is your preferred grammar? In September start ringing them to find out if there are any spaces, this will vary. I know of one boy who got a place at John Hampden, 3 weeks later went to Borlase, his original 1st choice - expensive on the uniform!

Dear Guest

Re dates, do not know yet, will try to find out, you probably know its April sometime.

I am currently teaching a late transfer child, his mum rang county and letters are going out, the first week in March, giving permission to test.

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Patrica, Just wondered if you can help. Have been following all the subjects for a while especially the 'catchment' debate. We live in Berkshire (on the boarders of Bucks) and my son has got through on appeal into a Bucks Grammar. I understood this to mean he is 'guaranteed' a grammar school place? Because of our location there is really only 1 viable option in Bucks but ive heard that as we are 'out of county' we are not guaranteed a place! Any thoughts on this.

Thanks

anxiousmumof 1

Post by Guest »

patricia wrote:I am in for the evening reading a good book/checking the forum/catching up on phone calls/checking my emails
Patricia - sounds as though you've mastered the art of multitasking! :lol: Thanks for all the tips.

Marylou
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Anxious mum of 1

Admission will be on distance from the school, after catchment children

Which grammar are you thinking of? Good luck for next week.

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now