PM For Good Educational Psychologist in South Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: PM For Good Educational Psychologist in South Bucks

Post by southbucks3 »

Yes cats in our school have quantitative reasoning too, the boys have literally just sat them and got results.

I am really surprised your head included the test results that may have been detrimental to your review blueberry. They do not have to, as many schools do not even sit for these tests, I suppose they are being completely open and transparent with the review board, but it seems a bit counter productive. The head or teacher should have warned you of this too. Our ds2 has a poor vr test result in his cats of 117, and the teacher has warned me it may scupper our case, before entering the process. (She is incredibly supportive and determined he should be at grammar either this year or next) I am going ahead with the appeal anyway, as his quantitative and nvr (which are his weakest areas normally) were much higher, so brought the mean up to 124.

Good luck blueberry, the 11+ selection process really is not one size fits all, hopefully you will discover why your dc gets in a test pickle, if nothing else. Is your local upper any good?
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Is it just a snapshot if a DC has good CATs scores over year 3, 4 and 5 which show a trend that they have done well and then they have a bad day on the 11+ test and score say 110. It must then look as if the DC had a bad day due to nerves etc if they have good CATS and SATS.

Thanks
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Many schools only do cats in year 5/6

Ours to 4 and 5, and gave dropped doing 6, but they do not really use results from year 4, as they say that the kids don't really know what they are doing, it is just done to give them a bit more of an idea if the children are performing in class as well as they can.

Never heard of year 3 being tested.

My ds3 is very good at cat tests, but really is no academic, I think maybe he is so uncaring of the results that he stays perfectly calm throughout the tests. I hear the same on parents evening every year "we think he is having us on". This confirms to us that ability must be twinned with actually giving a damn!
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Hi SB3,

Sorry I don't get to post that often - definately not CATs as school has made a big fuss about moving to CATS for current Y5 - makes me wonder what they are. Have looked out the paper work - same test has been sat in y3, y4 and y5 definately VR and NVR but results don't say NFER - the head has put that on the review doc - interesting if they are a different company as would sort of invalidate them - I will check after half term & Yes I did ask for them to be left off but ---- was told that they wouldn't be important with a move to curriculum based testing!!!!

All the best

BB22

PS - Don't get me started on US's!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now