Cloze Material

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Cloze Material

Post by southbucks3 »

Oh right, no I don't, because tbh that is easier than the whole word bank, so if they can master a choice from 10+ words (be it diminishing) they can master a choice of 4, ds2 said the words were in a word bank at the top of the sheet last year with corresponding letters underneath that had to be placed in the answer grid which had the gaps numbertd in order...it was one of only two areas he said were not "cramped" so they obviously made it clear. The cloze will probably differ in bucks this year, or not even be there.

Also like you have discovered, that way is really time consuming, and if you look at your example...vulnerable to ambiguity and therefore lots of convoluted arguments with 9 year old boys!

The synonym and antonym work should cover the choice of words puzzles, if they were to come up. If anyone has a way if getting those to sink in, I will personally come and give you chocolate...He hates apps, and is still getting confused with the word synonym/antonym bless him. Even though his vocabulary is ok for a 9 year old boy seeing words out of context (as opposed to cloze) really throws him, and I can fully understand why. Annoying too, as the sheer number makes up a massive part of the test, and the speed is about 20 seconds a question.
So ideas? No apps, no pc programmes, please don't suggest singing and I was shocked once to read someone made their child sit down and read a thesaurus. :shock: He is a solid little reader, he is good at comprehension, ok at cloze now. He likes doing the flash cards I made with ds1, but I fear the cem requirements are so much more demanding.
Sorry for change of subject, but they do work together...I think?
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

southbucks you are funny!

I feel sorry for our little 9 yr olds. All this pressure to pass and to join their big brothers. I've already told my ds2 that Cressex Community is a smashing school!

Back to cloze, all this diy work and there is the possibility it might not even come up! I think you are right the main thing is that they learn a myriad of words.
Last edited by MamaBear on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I think they have got the smashing under control!

To be fair, ds1 goes to rugby training with two boys from his primary,who are at cressex and really settled well, every time we go there for sporting events it always seems very clean and tidy now. I think it is one of those schools that does have troubled youngsters in its catchment and this unfairly reflects on its results, as the value added I understand is very good. I also LOVE their green house! Wouldn't mind it in my garden actually!

Sorry OP thread hijacking...please forgive me.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now