How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place March 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Purplerabbit appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by southbucks3 »

purplerabbit wrote:It went on past 11am (I know as the first stage 2 was due to start at that time and they said that they were already running late) but probably finished before 11.30 - maybe if someone else was there they can confirm the time but that's my best guess.
Ooooer...ours is in a few weeks, his stage 2 is the 11am one. Now I suspect I still will be sitting in stage one with clenched lists from 11am onwards!

At least I know it may drag on now, thank you purple rabbit.
Etienne

Re: Purplerabbit appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by Etienne »

purplerabbit wrote:We started a few minutes later than the 9am - I wasn't really looking at my watch but I think that they called us all together just after 9 then did a sort of register to check who was there and to take names and then we all trooped up to the room together so it was probably nearly 9.30 by the time it formally started.
Were you asked to be there for 9 a.m.? Hearings always used to be scheduled for 9.30 (and, by the time the clerk had rounded everyone up, would start a bit later than that).
It was generally a friendly and calm atmosphere and not intimidating.
Good! :)
That's reassuring.
I think the parents as a group got a few good points across. I'm not sure how far these will go but it was definitely good to get the feel of the process and to meet the panel.
I agree. It's not just a chance to ask questions (important as that is) - it's also an opportunity to 'size up' the panel, and get the feel of the process.

Thanks very much for providing this feedback.
Etienne
purplerabbit

Re: How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place March

Post by purplerabbit »

Etienne wrote:
purplerabbit wrote:We started a few minutes later than the 9am - I wasn't really looking at my watch but I think that they called us all together just after 9 then did a sort of register to check who was there and to take names and then we all trooped up to the room together so it was probably nearly 9.30 by the time it formally started.
Were you asked to be there for 9 a.m.? Hearings always used to be scheduled for 9.30 (and, by the time the clerk had rounded everyone up, would start a bit later than that).
Oh dear, DH has just reminded me that we were due to start at 9.30 and not 9.00 and that we were called just a minute or two after the alloted time :D Well I did say I wasn't looking at my watch! :D
Dragonamp

Post by Dragonamp »

Hi,

We did stage 1 and 2 of SWBGS appeal today.

I have to say I found the panel friendly and not at all intimidating.

As a group I would hope that the parents at least dented the school's case with some good questions during stage 1.

Stage 2 went smoothly for us but heaven knows what the panel made of it!

I can't comment on FCO as we chose to go straight to appeal and the matter didn't come up in our stage 2

Best wishes and good luck to everyone in the same boat!
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

We had our stage 2 hearing yesterday and I'm very glad that it is over now.

We started about 15 minutes late and the hearing took around 30 minutes overall. The panel were friendly and attentive and despite some nerves before hand it was not an intimidating experience.

We were asked a few questions about whether dd had time to finish the 11 plus paper, how she had been before hand and on the day of the test, whether she had any older siblings and whether we had arranged tutoring for her for the test. The presenting officer did not ask any questions.

We were given time to give our little presentation and I did feel that the panel were paying attention and following (I referred them to the documents I had submitted) throughout.

Best of luck to all with the process still to come. We will just sit back for now and wait.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Hi PR,

Just went to your thread to see when S2 was scheduled and wish you luck - i see i missed it!

Fingers crossed for you - am so jealous though - we have over a month to wait for S2.

When are you hoping to hear by ?

BB22

PS - how long did you spend on F,C,O for your DC at S2 ?
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

Hello BB2,

Thank you for your words of support. I didn't dare reply before now as we have been waiting for the final decision and I really didn't know what I could say.

Anyway, the decision came through today and I am very sad to report that it is a no for us.

For those with the process yet to come I can say that the FCO for us was very easily and quickly dealt with. The PO conceded (on questioning by the panel) that our SR letter had errors in it, that it was not factually correct and that therefore there was no evidence of FCO.

That bit was over in about 30 seconds and rather took the wind out of my sails!

Unfortunately, it seems we didn't have enough on the academic front to get over the test score shortfall- it was always going to be difficult but I had hoped that the information we had was sufficient.

Best of luck to all of you with the process still to come. I'm feeling sad but despite that do still feel that the panel were polite, professional and attentive and listened carefully to all we had to say.

For those who already know that they didn't get through, you have my heartfelt sympathy. It is very hard to receive these decisions in relation to our dear children (and still smile when we pick up our children at 3pm) but we're doing our best for them and that's all we can do.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Hi PR,

Really sorry to hear your news - you have been a great help and inspiration to us all.

Take care

BB22
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Sorry to hear your news Purplerabbit x
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Sorry purple rabbit, I know you must feel wretched. Good luck for the future.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now