How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place March 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

saints32

Re: How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place March

Post by saints32 »

Hello. Just wanted to share our novice experience of the appeal process from the stage 1 and 2 hearings this week

Stage One:

The group hearing format works really well. It provides a way of getting a feel for the people who are going to be in the room with you during Stage 2 - so you're not going in cold. If you can, I might suggest striking up a conversation with the school's PO and clerk before/during/after intervals - get to know them a little better - so it's not 'strangers' in the room during Stage 2

I was surprised by how few questions the panel asked of the school during Stage 1. The chair (with the most school experience) asked nothing - with the 2 other panel members only asking 4 quick questions between them. So be prepared with your own questions. No questions about FCO though (we were an over-subscription case) so maybe there is some confusion about where to ask what and when?

Stage Two:

The panel were lovely. At pains to listen attentively, take breaks when things got a little emotional and ask questions in an exploratory, rather than confrontational manner. I left feeling that we had been given the time and space to make our case - and the chair's summary notes (which were read out at the end) were lengthy and comprehensive. In all probability, the chances of our appeal being upheld are small - but I couldn't criticise the Stage Two process at all

In my work, I'm a confident presenter - but I chose to read my opening statement from notes (whilst still maintaining eye contact). I didn't want to miss anything out. I don't think this detracted from the impact or passion of the case

Hope the above is reassuring to all those still to go through the process. It may not be as bad as you fear!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thank you very much to everyone who is providing feedback.

You know the odds are probably against you - after all, nationally the average success rate for appeals is around 30% (but that's without FCO and qualification thrown in as additional hurdles to overcome!).

Whatever the outcome, and however much it may hurt, it's clear from what has been written on the forum that you couldn't have done more.
Your children should be really proud of how well you have stood up for them and represented them.

My favourite saying:
    • Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell and rose again.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck to all those still waiting. (There is an element of luck in all this - how many other parents are appealing, how strong their cases are, what sort of panel you have, how they perceive FCO, ........)
Etienne
Dragonamp

Post by Dragonamp »

Hi all,

Had stage 1 of our appeal for WHS today.

The panel couldn't have been more different than the one we encountered at the SWBGS appeal.

2 of the panel were barristers, and although the headteacher attended and was very good generally, the barristers found a few loose threads in the schools case and picked at them incessantly, ultimately stating that it was felt that the school had "over-egged" their case in some areas.

I'm certain they will be just as probing with their questioning of the appellants.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now