When to Start Preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Melx

Post by Melx »

Thanks everyone for your advice. Another thing and forgive me if it's silly but do you think I should start buying the papers now. I remember when I coached my son two years ago(admittedly I left it until Spring) I found it hard getting all the papers and recall havign to visit WH Smiths several times.

I just want to be much better prepared this time.

Thanks Mel
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mel

Just use the online bookshop on this site - WH Smith sell a lot of stuff that is not appropriate for Bucks, and you can get everything you need from here anyway. If it is in stock, which it almost always is, it arrives within 48 hours. You can also download quite a lot of materials instantly.

And you really do get service with a smile if you ring the office with any queries! :D

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Why don't you log on??

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

I would not start any formal tuition/coaching until the new year.

I would now be concentrating on Vocabulary and Maths.

Vocabulary, lots of reading out loud, discussing unknown words. Check out my word/compound lists and flash card method [ I will send a new list to Lee by the end of October]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tricia.pdf

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tricia.pdf

With regard to maths, get those times tables [up to at 12] up to scratch ensuring your child can multiply, divide, add and subtract very quickly. Perhaps lay out 10/20 sums a day.

Practice makes perfect.

Patricia
Melx

Post by Melx »

Hi Patricia

Nice to hear from you.

I do keep forgetting to log in, will do it now.

I am planning on following your advice with January. I have printed off your words and my little girls loves playing the games you suggest. She has just moved to a new primary school and they are very keen to push times tables so this is helping her too. I guess I am worrying a little as I am not sure what help if any the school give with the 11+. Will have first parents evening soon so may brave it and ask the question.

I guess I am also a tad worried about tutoring again myself as its been ages since I done it with my son.

Mel
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mel

If it is a state school they are not allowed to do any preparation - the Head has to sign a form to say that they aren't coaching the children.

Private school Heads sign the same form to say they aren't coaching either. However, as Bucks have no direct control over them they cannot stop them coaching, and I suspect that quite a lot do.

There are rumours that the same happens in certain state schools, but they are the exception, rather than the rule.

You might ask the question obliquely at parents evening: "Do the children do any verbal reasoning tests at school? If so, how frequently, and do we get told the results?" If you don't get blown out of the water for asking, you might then ask: "How close are the tests to the real Bucks 11+ papers"? "Do the children have their mistakes explained to them?" Etc. :wink:

Sally-Anne
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

Thanks Sally Anne

At my daughters previous school(again a state school) they used to do some practise with the children who wanted it early mornings for 3 days a week for the three weeeks leading up to the tests. By all accounts this was allowed because it was outside school hours. This also meant we as parents could call up and get feedback on how our child was doing. They did also do the practise tests and we were sent home the scores with the papers so we could see any errors.

I will ask as you suggested when I go to the first parents evening and see what they say. I tutored my son two years ago and can't believe the time to do it again is coming round so quickly.

I just know I am going to be on here constantly badgering people like you and Patricia so I will apologise in advance.

Mel

:roll: