few more questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yplx

few more questions

Post by yplx »

Hi all,

Please help out on these questions - from Tutors e-paper. appreciate very much explanations too.

1) fort is to (fight, fortress, idea) as font is to (fountain, write, water)

2) odd two out: watch, clock, timer, view, see

3) closest in meaning: (exact, query, strange) (right, wrong, differ)

Thanks
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

2. view and see..... the othrs are devices for telling the time

3. exact and right

not 100% sure about 1 but I would say fortress (as it's the only sensible one) and fountain????

words from teh same root??

Post by Guest »

I would have said the odd ones out for 2 are clock and timer. All the others are to do with looking at things; you watch something, you view something and you see something. Pretty silly question but VR often are in my opinion.

I agree with yoyo for 1

3. Could be yoyo's answer or perhaps it could be that forts are for fighting and fonts are for water!! Never straightforward are they. As adults we could probably argue about this all day. I'm so glad its not me doing these tests!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think you are right for question 2, that's what you get for jumping in without really reading it.

*blush* just what i tell my pupils off for!
random

Post by random »

I have been following yplx´s reviews of The Tutors material with interest because I have purchased a full range of their material from this website.

Normally I can follow most postings and look at the questions referred to.

But I have found this particular posting by yplx somewhat extraordinary.

The first query comes from The Tutors e-paper 12-B Question 8

The second query comes from The Tutors e-paper 3-B Question 18

and the third query is not an e-paper question at all, it appears on The Tutors Verbal Reasoning CD2 Paper 5 Question 8.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

I have received PMs asking me why I have not replied to yplx´s posting when I do reply to all postings related to The Tutors products.

We do take postings regarding The Tutors products seriously as has been evident in all the postings that we have replied to. Where errors have been identified we have corrected them, we have discussed ambiguities and changed questions accordingly, with the exception of the recent "primary colours" question.

Most postings relating to our questions give an e-paper number and question number or a CD reference so that we can access them quickly and deal with any issues that may arise.

In the case of the yplx posting I was able to identify the two e-paper questions quite quickly, but was unable to find the third query on an e-paper. Therefore I needed to review all The Tutors questions to find the one query. In the time it took me to find the question a number of people had already discussed the issues raised, therefore I felt that I did not need to add my comments.

The Tutors have created over 3000 Verbal Reasoning Questions, Over 2500 Mathematics Questions and over 1000 Vocabulary Questions. It would be helpful if people with queries on any of The Tutors products could give a reference to them.

Regards

Mike Edwards (co-author The Tutors)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

could you put an old woman out ofher misery and tell us which answers are right, PLEASE :wink:
yplx

Post by yplx »

Thanks all for the discussion. I feel the test papers are not necessarily increasing confidence, as there are a few confusion.

Answer to the questions:
1) fortress and fountain. Yoyo123 can you please explain the word root - which root are they from?
2) view and see. :twisted: what a surprise! still not get it. am I so thick? A timer is not a way of telling time. It measures the length of time. My daughter has put down clock and timer. - Mike, can you please help on this?
3) exact and right.

Thanks Random for your interest. Maybe you have noticed that I am quite nervous about 11+?
doing the review now of all papers done.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Yplx

You say these papers are not increasing confidence due to confusion. Where is the confusion?

1] fortress and fountain are synonyms of fort and font

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=fort&start=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/font" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2] Clock,watch, timer, view, see

We have to find 3 words that are related in the best way, this could be words that mean the same OR are related in someway. clock, timer and watch are related because they can be used to measure time. These 3 go together better than watch, view, see.

3] exact and right are synonyms of each other.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/exact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tests will always use vocabulary that are very close in meaning/relation, its to make the child think. If the answers were obvious, there would be no challenge, the tests would not be differentiating between the weaker and stronger candidates.

What papers have you been using?

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

yplx, the 11+ papers in general are far from always being easy, even for parents.

I have to say that I don't find these particular questions specially obscure, but I remember having struggled with some from other published papers (that was in the pre-forum era, also called the dark age of eleven plus preparation when there was hardly any advice available anywhere)

So please don't worry if you can't work out immediately where all the answers come from. We parents are (or have been) all in the same boat.

As you have probably noticed with the number of replies you have received so far, you can get a lot of support here, so don't hesitate to express your pre-exam stress if it helps.

And stay on for the coming pre-result stress and the pre-school allocation stress.

Best wishes

Catherine
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now