Today's Times (light hearted comment)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kittymum

Today's Times (light hearted comment)

Post by kittymum »

Well it seems the Times has declared Marlow the 16th most glamorous place to live hot on the heels of Tatler having Billy Borlase in its list of top 20 state schools - I'm starting to wonder if the Marlow tourist board is bribing people :lol:
hermanmunster

Re: Today's Times (light hearted comment)

Post by hermanmunster »

Beginning to think the same thing about Skipton Tourist board after Ermysted's appeared in the Tatler list and .. of course:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... itain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Ooh Skipton is the best place whereas Marlow only the 16th most glamorous! I'd better get moving :D . I have to say it doesn't feel that glamorous when I'm trudging round the supermarket!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Well it seems the Times has declared Marlow the 16th most glamorous place to live hot on the heels of Tatler having Billy Borlase in its list of top 20 state schools - I'm starting to wonder if the Marlow tourist board is bribing people :lol:
Best not let on about what happened to the graveyard in the floods then...have they recovered all the skeletons from down river yet?

Sorry...bad taste local joke..it is a historic graveyard, right on the river that ended up completely flooded, so of course the holes dug for wooden coffins stacked atop one another, that have long since rotted, simply collapsed and filled with water. :shock:

I love Marlow actually, it has a very nice heart foundation charity shop too :D and is perfect for summer picnics with the boys...we frequently lower the tone. :lol: I used to be a member of the Marlow canoe club, until I got too old and fat!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

The floods were terrible weren't they - I've never seen the park or churchyard like that! The village next to ours is still flooded (ground water still rising) and the ancient churchyard has been under a lot of water for over 4 weeks :shock:

Marlow is lovely though for all it's faults :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Marlow is nice, been the a few times, however being a Yorkshire girl myself, I'd prefer Skipton.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

We Bollywood tings love Marlow (and Reading for that matter) too 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GlIwKlopU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Fowey is in the top 10.

My friend hails from there, his mum and bruv still live there. He will be mortified, he comes from a boat building family, glamour is simply not on the agenda. :lol:

I think the yacht club and that bit is set apart from the real village from memory? Which the last time I visited was lovely, but that was in winter...No crowds.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Is it possible to view the full 30 glamorous places list online without having a Times subscription?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

kittymum wrote:Is it possible to view the full 30 glamorous places list online without having a Times subscription?

No, it is protected at the moment by the paywall. I suspect they think those glamorous enough to live in such villages and towns, can afford the subscription dahling...You really must try better for that Billy borlace coffee morning. :lol:

Here you go....I am spoiling you:

1. Knightsbridge and Belgravia ( London )
2. The Tews
3. Notting Hill ( London )
4. Wentworth
5. The Duchy ( Harrogate )
6. St George's Hill ( Weybridge, Surrey )
7. Frome
8. Primrose Hill ( London )
9. Salcombe, Devon
10. Chipping Norton
11. London Fields
12. Brockenhurst, Hampshire
13. Bray
14. New Town and Stockbridge, Edinburgh
15. Sandbanks
16. Marlow, Bucks
17. Altrincham and Hale ( Greater Manchester )
18. Alderley Edge ( Cheshire )
19. Windsor
20. Scowcroft (near Leeds)
21. Burnham Market ( Norfolk )
22. Thorntonhall ( South Lanarkshire )
23. Ascot
24. Sevenoaks, Kent
25. Fowey, Cornwall
26. Deganwy ( North Wales )
27. Ullenhall ( Warwickshire )
28. Ponteland ( Northumberland )
29. St Andrews ( Fife )
30. Cambridge

Bray, ascot, Marlow and windsor....what a very glam area you do live in!
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.