OOC places how likely?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MamaBear

Re: OOC places how likely?

Post by MamaBear »

Thanks SB3, my friend does not like Magdalen school, very snooty in her opinion. My nephew goes there and he is thriving. Each to their own!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

:lol: did you tell her your nephew attended before or after she called it snooty?
Like you say each to their own, but do tell her to have a look at the Aylesbury schools, lots of adults do the commute from this way to Oxford and they all go the A road route, only getting jammed at headingley. Also she could up sticks to wonderful bucks. :wink:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

She won't leave Oxford, I think its a gamble whether you get in or not for OOC places and for some parents its too much of a gamble which is why they move within the catchment.

Will see what happens, long wait til March!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

There is a coach service from a lay by near the stokenchurch/watlington junction, that runs into Oxford/London respectively, may be that stops at high wycombe too? Worth a look?
I am sure there must be a higher than average amount of super intelligent kids at Oxford, purely due to genetics....all those doctors of this and professors of that - where do all their children go? They can't all afford Magdalen and headingley can they?

I love Oxford I have to confess, and I love the villages and towns like Witney too, but conversely our ties are with south bucks.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I have family in Oxford and they say the comps are awful, Cherwell is the only good one. Even the private schools are dire. Magdalen is super hard to get in and the pressure there is unbelievable.
There are a lot of homeschoolers in Oxford.
joop

Post by joop »

We live in Oxfordshire on the border near to Stokenchurch and my son was offered a place a couple of years ago when amazingly RGS was all offered one year and had some spare places (This was also a low birth rate year). There are school buses from Stokenchurch to all the Wycombe grammar schools which take 30 mins. It takes 20 mins to get to John Hampden from our village but without traffic. When I worked in Maidenhead the stretch of the M40 from Oxfordshire into Wycombe in the morning rush hour is very unpredictable. Wouldn't want to face this for a school run every day.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thanks joop its really helpful to hear of how others found the commute.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now